Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-05-05 19:35:54

blognspider

Easy Install Change For Security

Having the admin name as “textpattern” is not secure. I know using the directions here http://textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Making_the_Textpattern_Installation_More_Secure#Rename_the_textpattern_Directory we are able to modify the admin directory, but really, it would not take you guys more than 30 minutes to add in the install an area to where it shows the admin file textpattern and gives the user the ability to change this while installing so there would be no modding. If the user keeps the admin folder the same, no change is needed but says you may change the name if you rename the admin. This is an good install idea and requires little file coding to complete as this can be an editable option in all the files that count where they could look to the config for the admin folder name. If you guys need me to do this, I can do this for you also…

Thank You,
Joe

#2 2010-05-05 22:40:48

artagesw
Website

Re: Easy Install Change For Security

Changing the name of the admin directory is an example of “security by obscurity,” which is not true security at all. If you are truly concerned about security, then I suggest following the instructions for multi-site installation, which will allow you to put the admin area on its own ssl-secured subdomain.

#3 2010-05-05 22:55:19

blognspider

ok, thank you…

#4 2012-10-01 20:19:13

robbiia
Website

Without sounding like a di*k – could one say forget about the “security by obscurity” and think uh dis as a
Cool Feature for making clients happy on their login. I think with wordpress, one has to type the admin.php always and gets stuck into that form of login.

But wouldn’t it be “dope” to have an op for a more “personalized” login experience – for the client that is.

Maybe the client knowing they are using textpattern is a good subtle marketing strategy….who knows…..BUT i do think on the personal tip – it would cool to be able to easily customize the login experience: ie. client types in WEB_ADDRESS.com/the_site_name/ and BAM!!!! they are taken to the TXP login screen.

So simple, so nice for end user.

Bless,

Robbo

p.s. directions on how to do this are expired for new version.
SOMEBODY….ANYBODY smart out there that knows how to fix or edit this, please HELP!!!!

http://textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Making_the_Textpattern_Installation_More_Secure

Tried to see how many times textpattern came up in file folder and too many times to change by batch without F-REAKIN sumthin up…I’[m pretty sure o’ that!

Thx

Board footer