Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-03-07 14:47:24

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

Q4T - Trance music parties in the Netherlands.

New site for Q4T.
Trance music parties in the Netherlands.
The main site.
A sub site.

Hare is a printscreen of the Write page of the Agenda section: (click to enlarge)

(That crazy table like, created with glz_custom_fields + bot_write_tab_customize + css + jquery.)

You can take a look at the backend-tutorial + website-tour videos by visiting:
Tutorial | User&Pass: TBD
Tour | User&Pass: TBD
(These pages & videos created with ign_password_protect + BB FlashBack 2 Express [free screen recorder])

Plugins:
  • adi_calc
  • aks_header
  • bot_privs
  • bot_write_tab_customize
  • chh_if_data
  • chs_cookie
  • ebl-image-edit
  • fpx_image_import (jbx_multiple_image_upload v0.4 is not working for me)
  • glz_custom_fields
  • hcg_templates
  • ign_password_protect
  • jad_oldposted
  • rah_external_output
  • rah_replace
  • rss_auto_excerpt
  • rss_suparchive
  • rvm_privileged
  • smd_gallery
  • smd_lib
  • smd_short_url
  • soo_if_frontpage
  • soo_page_numbers
  • soo_txp_obj
  • stm_javascript
  • zem_contact_lang
  • zem_contact_reborn
Scripts:
  • JW Player (videos & music players)
  • JW Image Rotator (top logo images slideshow)
  • Uploadify (batch images uploader)
  • Colorbox (lightboxes for images/videos/inline-content/iframes)
  • The Silky Smooth Marquee (music player now playing marquee)
  • Smart Image Resizer 1.4.1 (auto crop onthefly)
  • Google Maps API V3 + Static

Els helped here – used for the audio page articles.
jsoo helped here – used for the videos and audio pages.
rsilletti helped here – used for the audio embed and share links.
Els & Bloke helped here – used for the audio page to fake categories.

#2 2010-03-07 15:27:31

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Q4T - Trance music parties in the Netherlands.

That’s some serious txp customizing, Gil. Count me impressed. Does it cut hair and polish shoes too?

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#3 2010-03-07 17:57:27

jakob
Admin
Website

Cool! Some interesting modifications you made there and thanks for showing us behind the scenes. The aspect of making custom content input areas is something that comes up again and again and it looks like you’ve got a working approach there.

I still have a couple of question, tho (if I may!) :-)

1. Is that table field part of the new version of glz_custom_field (not tried the most recent version yet) or a special modification. If so, can you elaborate on how you achieved that?
  2. I’d love to see a tutorial for your in-page popups, for example for google maps. That’s not msd_google_map, right? Did you work out a way to pass back the value to the field directly without using cut and paste? That would make entering geo-data very easy.
  3. You have an item on your admin nav called “Menu”. I think I saw it in use in one of your tutorials (also good BTW) but can’t find it again now. Is that one you made with a plugin or a special theme where you renamed it and removed the other areas? Or are the others just made invisible with CSS?
  4. How did you achieve your content area switcher, the drop-down at the top with agend/audio/photo etc. that I assume switches between the content areas (I don’t remember seeing it in use in a tutorial)? Does it switch the content entry pane as a whole as soon as you use it?

For a few sites in the past, I’ve needed to present a custom interface for users who don’t need to and don’t want to deal with the whole site. I’ve always wanted a custom-content pane for that, and perhaps an articles pane that can be dedicated to a certain section to achieve that. Instead, I’ve usually gone with mem_moderation or mem_simple_form up to now and presented my own input mask that then channeled the relevant information into the right custom fields behind the scene. You have excellent control but it involves a fair amount of work as you are essentially building a mini-interface rather than using txp’s own in a slimmed-down fashion like you are here.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2010-03-07 20:04:41

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

JanDW wrote:

Does it cut hair and polish shoes too?

I wish it was do the dishes! =)

BTW: I’m going to check your txpdream (just saw it now in your signature), can be useful, thanks.

jakob wrote:

and thanks for showing us behind the scenes.

Yea all the point is to share ideas and tips.
I made it for the client so he will know how to update + for potential employers to hire me ;)

1. Is that table field part of the new version of glz_custom_field (not tried the most recent version yet) or a special modification. If so, can you elaborate on how you achieved that?

That table of course it’s not a table, just bunch of custom fields
djtime1 djname1 djimage1 djweb1
djtime2 djname2 djimage2 djweb2
djtime3 djname3 djimage3 djweb3…….
=
40 custom fields created with glz_custom_field.
after that I moved them one by one to the middle (after the Title field) by bot_write_tab_customize.
then I used css+jquery to hide all the labels beside the first 4 on the top.
again css+jquery to customize the first top 4 labels so it will look nice.
and css+jquery to control the size of the fields and make them float-left/inline-block (what you prefer)
so in the end you got that “table”.
but hey!, it is works o_O
I will make a tutorial with the codes+css and share it here and on txptips tomorrow.

2. I’d love to see a tutorial for your in-page popups, for example for google maps. That’s not msd_google_map, right? Did you work out a way to pass back the value to the field directly without using cut and paste? That would make entering geo-data very easy.

Yea a tutorial/txptip about that also coming tomorrow.
And no that is’t msd_google_map, didn’t know about that plugin.
And I don’t know how to pass back the value to the field directly, because I don’t know JS (Yet, lol).

3. You have an item on your admin nav called “Menu”. I think I saw it in use in one of your tutorials (also good BTW) but can’t find it again now. Is that one you made with a plugin or a special theme where you renamed it and removed the other areas?

For this time I just edit the file “en-gb.txt” changed tab_content => Content to tab_content => Menu,
and then install it in Admin > Preferences > Language.
I could just use jquery for that. (didn’t know back then, but whatever)

4. How did you achieve your content area switcher, the drop-down at the top with agend/audio/photo etc. that I assume switches between the content areas (I don’t remember seeing it in use in a tutorial)? Does it switch the content entry pane as a whole as soon as you use it?

Very easy thanks to bot_write_tab_customize you can hide any fields depend on the section you choose.
I just changed the label from “section” to “page” so the client will understand.

#5 2010-03-07 21:02:01

jakob
Admin
Website

Thanks for the extra infos.

That table of course it’s not a table, just bunch of custom fields

whistling between his teeth – had me fooled. What a “table” that is!

Thanks for offering to explain how you did them as a tutorial but there’s absolutely no hurry, though!

Very easy thanks to bot_write_tab_customize you can hide any fields depend on the section you choose

I guess I’m going to have to try that out more fully.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2010-03-07 21:36:49

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

Looking forward to those Txp tips, cheers – I was wondering how you modified the CSS and JQuery in the admin? I would probably use jmd_admin_js but that doesn’t seem to be how you did it?

BTW: I’m going to check your txpdream (just saw it now in your signature), can be useful, thanks.

Hope It’ll help. I’ve recently been using txpdream with xrefresh and cnk_versioning in a dual monitor setup. (Dreamweaver/Browser). When that puzzle came together I was crying salty tears of happiness…

Last edited by JanDW (2010-03-07 21:38:15)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#7 2010-03-08 13:27:46

woof

Fantastic work — well done! I love how you customised the admin and thanks for sharing the tutorials

#8 2010-03-08 13:59:30

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Gil, that’s ace.

Just goes to show that there’s almost no such thing as “it can’t be done” with TXP :-) With some cunning, the sky really is the limit…

I love the way that the player (JW Player?) remembers where you are in the current track as you navigate pages. Is using the cookie to store the current song position a standard feature of the player or did you craft that yourself?

Impressive stuff, regardless.

[ Are you a di.fm addict like me? ;-) My faves are the Breakbeat, Drum n Bass, and Goa-Psy Trance channels, but I have been known to frequent Trance and most others if the mood takes me ]

Last edited by Bloke (2010-03-08 14:17:42)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2010-03-08 15:40:17

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

Thanks John =)

I just sent the “lightboxes and labels changing” tutorial to txptips, so it will soon be online.
I will post a link to it here when it will.
(the other tip about the table fileds will also come soon, I got a new better Idea for making it)

Bloke wrote:

Gil, that’s ace.
Just goes to show that there’s almost no such thing as “it can’t be done” with TXP :-) With some cunning, the sky really is the limit…

Yea and you got a big part of it with your great plugins =)

I love the way that the player (JW Player?) remembers where you are in the current track as you navigate pages. Is using the cookie to store the current song position a standard feature of the player or did you craft that yourself?

No, I wish!
I just done some editing to the code that some kind man with the nickname of “lost” on JW forums provided me.
I will send you the code ;) (if you not already grabbed it lol)

Are you a di.fm addict like me?

Yes I am 8-)
My most favorite channel is the Classic Electronica (some good trance/techno/rave from the old days)
others are the Goa & Techno, and sometimes the Trance when they really are playing a trance music and not the nowadays pop&electro-trance s**t ;)
You are from the UK the best place for good electronic music parties a specially if you are a real raver and seeking for some good oldschool and urban styles.

Last edited by THE BLUE DRAGON (2010-03-08 15:45:48)

#10 2010-03-08 22:09:27

jstubbs
Website

Thanks to Gil for a wonderful TXP Tip on Customising the Write tab with a lightbox script.

#11 2010-03-09 23:34:17

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

The custom fields table tutorial has just sent to txptips ;)

#12 2010-03-11 21:07:03

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

Here it is: http://txptips.com/creating-a-custom-fields-table
(If you already saw it yesterday so visit it again, I made an edit and added examples and others.)

Take a look of it, and it may look scary and hard, but it’s not! it is really simple.
but it does takes time because of all the steps.
If you got a problem or know how to improve it so post here or in the comments on txptips .

Here is the image of the 5 css examples in the end of the tutorial to help you geting start and understand it.

Have a fun weekend ;)

Last edited by THE BLUE DRAGON (2010-03-11 21:08:55)

Board footer