Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-12-19 17:28:57

maverick
Website

Legacy Authorship/People (User) Management in Txp

Stuart and Bloke –

Hope this okay. I started to post in the thread referenced below, but felt I was going to far off-topic.

I’m following your discussion here w/ interest because I have a site where I will soon have a similar situation. With some articles, it doesn’t really matter who posted them for historical purposes. Others are copyrighted content belonging to the author, and need the attribution.

Bloke, I think you are correct that Txp can handle this is a smarter/better manner.

I readily admit I’m not an IA guru, but it really seems that a publishing software tied to a database ought to be able to handle situations like this with ease. It sounds like there is a need to create a separate “authorship” field from user/owner and a user/owner field? Or an archived user account feature?

This might be related . . . it seems to me that maybe Txp’s user backend code could be reworked to make it more flexible for plugin expansion of membership management. We got a couple of great ones out there already, but my perception is that there is an underlying desire for even more. Author/ownership seems like a subset of people/user management?

My perspective is that in CMSes, there are four key areas: 1) Publishing 2) Content Management 3) People Management 4) Site Management. I believe that when it comes to publishing, Txp is one of the best, if not the best. Content management has some limitation (seems like that was the drive behind the xpattern fork). And people management is the most limited/weakest. (in my opinion)

Perhaps this will spark a fresh discussion on making Txp more friendly for plugs that can extending it to membership type sites.

just mho. fwiw.

Mike

#2 2009-12-25 01:50:10

Siguo

Re: Legacy Authorship/People (User) Management in Txp

yes, I need member management too…

Board footer