Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-11-12 13:17:34

Soutpiel

Disabled posix functions / troubles using Textpattern on Rackspace

Hi all

I’ve just signed up to Rackspace’s Cloud Sites hosting and I’m trying it out. ( http://www.rackspacecloud.com/ )

I’ve installed the latest Txp (v 4.2.0). After doing the setup, and before doing anything except logging in, I check diagnostics and get:

.htaccess file is missing
The following PHP functions (which may be necessary to run Textpattern) are disabled on your server: leak, posix_getpwuid, posix_getpwnam, posix_getgrid, posix_getgrnam, posix_getgroups
Clean URL test failed.

At this point the index page loads fine, but I can’t navigate to any other ages without getting a “not found” message.

As per instructions, I created a .htaccess file. This gets rid of the “.htaccess file is missing” error in diagnostics, but the index page now fails to load, and gives this error:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.2 Server at www.massanthropy.com Port 80

I enlisted the Rackspace tech support people, and they say the posix functions are disabled for security reasons. There’s nothing further they can do, apparently. I’m gutted, as I really need to use Txp, and I like what I’ve seen of Rackspace. I don’t particularly want to move to another host.

Has anyone tried Txp on Rackspace? Is there a work-around or solution to this problem?

Many thanks
Roger

#2 2009-11-12 15:00:22

joebaich
Website

Re: Disabled posix functions / troubles using Textpattern on Rackspace

Hello Roger,

I run TXP sites on Rackspace Cloud (formerly Mosso) successfully, for instance this one. You can read about a suitable .htaccess file here. I checked all the reported disabled PHP functions when I began getting that error message and none of them are required to run TXP. I have seen something on this forum that explains how to stop that error message appearing but as it doesn’t affect the price of a sliced loaf, I don’t bother with it.

The only difficulty comes with Rackspace Cloud’s requirements for PHP Mail. Filling in a valid domain email address in the TXP Preferences (Advanced / Admin) SMTP envelope sender address field takes care of the TXP native email functions like administering user’s passwords. However, that doesn’t work for Plug-ins and so, in practice I find it better to use the method described here that deals with the same issue with the host WebFaction and ignoring that field. It is a little extra work but not at all difficult to do and involves making very minor changes to TXP’s lib/txplib_misc.php file and any plug-in that uses PHP mail like Zem contact Reborn etc. It’s useful to go to the WebFaction forum to read the detail too.

Rackspace Cloud is an excellent host and provides great 24/7 support and, for me, it’s well worth the extra little bit of effort

#3 2009-11-12 15:32:58

Soutpiel

Hello Joe

What extremely helpful and well-written advice. Thanks so much for taking the time. I made the amendments to the .htaccess file and it works beautifully. Hoorah!

I haven’t yet tried the PHP mail workaround. Will report back when I do.

BTW — historicformulaone.com — lovely website. Nice implementation of Txp.

Roger

#4 2009-11-12 15:58:23

joebaich
Website

Hello Again Roger,

Thank you for the kind comments. Happy to email you copies of the amended ib/txplib_misc.php, pearmail.php and Zem Contact Reborn plug-in files if that would help. Send me an email address via my forum email link. However, it’s worth amending them yourself too so that you know what’s going on and can, if necessary, amend other plug-ins and new versions of TXP as required.

Board footer