Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-09-22 22:54:25

jbsam

Porting TextPattern to Python

I prefer Python but I don’t like any of the open source CMS’s built on Python and was considering developing my own. While researching, I came across TextPattern and have been very impressed by it. Since it has many of the features that I’d like to implement, it seems like a good idea to port it and continue working on a python code base of TextPattern.

This article – http://wion.com/articles/understanding-textpattern-building-blocks – was very useful to understand the ‘workings’ of TextPattern. Is there any documentation / article that will help me understand how the building blocks relate to the code of TextPattern?

[Request: PHP & Python lovers, please do not turn this thread into a PHP vs Python debate. ]

#2 2009-09-23 00:51:47

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Porting TextPattern to Python

jbsam wrote:

Is there any documentation / article that will help me understand how the building blocks relate to the code of TextPattern?

I don’t know of any, but my suggestion is to begin with a study of /textpattern/publish.php. In particular, preText() and doArticles().

Although really I think it would make a lot more sense to spend some time building sites with Txp to gain a better understanding of its characteristics, advantages, peculiarities, and limitations. (After which you might decide to stick with Txp, a product with a solid dev team and support community, rather than porting/forking to Python.)

Code is topiary

#3 2009-09-23 21:53:07

maniqui
Website

You may also find useful information on the Textbook. There are some articles there that are aimed to developers and how things work behind TXP curtains.
Particularly on the Extending Textpattern category.
Also, there is the Textpattern PHPXref, to browse a cross reference of Textpattern inner cogs.

@jbsam, I would eventually like to get involved on something like this project you are proposing, mainly as a learning exercise, as I’ve done an introductory course to Python, but have never put in practise what I’ve learned.
Although I’m not a programmer, (I think) I’m well versed on Textpattern and how it works and I’m up to date on TXP ecosystem.
Please, let me know if you take the next step. :)

And if you decide not to try porting TXP to Python, I hope to see you hanging here at Textpattern forum. Someone told me once that “Python is fun”, and I can certainly say that Textpattern is fun too.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2009-09-23 22:02:58

jbsam

Thanks for the tip, jsoo.

As for my idea behind building a CMS on TextPattern codebase – it’s more to enhance my knowledge of Python, contribute back to the net and for the experience of working with other developers on an open source project.

On another note, it amazes me how open source projects survive – many of the popular ones don’t have any proper code documentation! Sometimes, one gets the feeling that the developer(s) behind the project intentionally don’t want to document the project, either because they prefer to work alone or they don’t want someone else to “steal” their project.

#5 2009-09-23 22:23:52

jbsam

@maniqui: Thanks, I will definitely get in touch with you when I do start the project.

#6 2009-09-24 01:41:33

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

jbsam wrote:

As for my idea behind building a CMS on TextPattern codebase – it’s more to enhance my knowledge of Python, contribute back to the net and for the experience of working with other developers on an open source project.

Fine with me. I still think that before launching into such a major project based on Txp it would be well worth building a few Txp sites of different types to get a real sense of Txp’s strengths and weaknesses. Also might be helpful to review the Feature Ideas forum, for the same reason.

Code is topiary

#7 2009-09-24 02:07:40

hakjoon
Website

@jbsam I’d love to be in the loop if you do get this started. I have no actual Python experience but it’s a language I want to pick up (and have toyed with) but I’m pretty familiar with TXP so I could be of some help in that regard. Looking at it from a learning point of view too.

TXP has a lot of good ideas which are lacking in other language CMS offerings imo.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#8 2009-09-25 01:09:16

jbsam

@jsoo: I have experimented with Txp and other CMSs. And I don’t plan to make carbon copy imitation of it in Python but only use selective features. That’s why I wanted to understand the architecture of Txp.

@hakjoon: I’ll keep you in the loop too. (By the way – if you want to learn the pythonic way of programming I highly recommend “Dive into Python” – http://www.diveintopython.org/ . It however assumes that you know programming in some other language and picks up from there.)

#9 2009-09-25 04:01:05

hakjoon
Website

I’ve started Dive into Python a couple times but it’s always when I get busy with other stuff. I know a few other languages so I’m right at it’s intended audience.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#10 2009-09-25 08:56:13

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Newer version of that website: http://diveintopython3.org/

Board footer