Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-08-28 16:14:33

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

How do I make a batch images thumbnails size change?

Hey!
I got a lot of photos galleries, and right now all the images have a crop thumbnail of 65×65.
now I want to mark all the images by clicking on they checkbox or select a category and change the crop thumbnails to a size of 70×70

is there a way of doing this please?

#2 2009-08-28 17:23:12

masa

Re: How do I make a batch images thumbnails size change?

I’m afraid you’d need to open every image and regenerate its thumbnail manually.

I once came across a thread stating that Txp doesn’t store thumbnail dimensions in the database. In theory this means you should be able to download the full size images, create your larger thumbs locally with a batch editor such as Photoshop, rename them adding a “t” before the file extension e.g. 80t.jpg, so they conform to Txp’s naming conventions, and then upload them to the images directory replacing the old, smaller thumbs.

But unless one of our resident geniuses/developers confirms that it’s safe to do so, I wouldn’t advise you to. I guess, you could try with a handful of images first and see what happens.

Last edited by masa (2009-08-28 17:24:08)

#3 2009-08-28 17:27:31

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Thumbnail height/weight is stored in the database in TXP versions 4.2 and up, but since TXP 4.2 isn’t released yet (and assuming you haven’t installed a release candidate), you can change the thumbnails directly as Martin suggests.

#4 2009-08-29 16:31:50

uli

@blue dragon: maybe lam_dynamic_image can help you, but this seems to depend on several factors, like frequency of site visits, graphic lib used, memory allocated.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#5 2009-08-29 21:13:10

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

Thank you all
I think I will do what Martin suggested

Ruud now when TXP 4.2 is here with us,
Can I change it in the database?
If I can, I will like to know how please, I have no knowledge in mysql (only making backups lol)
and does all the thumbnails info are now saved in my database or only the ones I will upload from now after the update to 4.2 please?

#6 2009-09-03 20:10:43

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

THE BLUE DRAGON wrote:

now when TXP 4.2 is here with us,
Can I change it in the database?
If I can, I will like to know how please, I have no knowledge in mysql (only making backups lol)
and does all the thumbnails info are now saved in my database or only the ones I will upload from now after the update to 4.2 please?

I’ve made a plugin that fills in thumbnail height and width for pre-4.2 images.

Code is topiary

#7 2009-09-03 20:37:17

joebaich
Website

In a similar situation, where I needed to change several hundred thumbnails to a different size, I used fpx_image_import, which was already installed on the site. I deleted all the images, category by category (there were 9 of them) and then re-imported them using the same category name, one category at a time. It was a pragmatic approach, particularly because the galleries were defined by the category title and so were re-generated without much further ado.

#8 2009-09-04 18:23:34

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

Cool thank you jsoo for the plugin!
I will update and save all the thumbnails info in the database =)
I’m already re-croped like 2,500 photos with Photoshop,
but it is still good to update the info for the future and backups ;)

Board footer