Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-04-28 22:29:51

els

Rename the 'More' link

Or better, split it into two links: ‘Comments’ and ‘Dates’ for instance. As it is now it’s not very obvious that ‘More’ is where you change the date :)

#2 2009-04-28 23:06:50

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Rename the 'More' link

+1

During moments of anti-clarity I still have a brain freeze and hunt for the date boxes; and I know where they are!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2009-04-28 23:26:28

redbot
Plugin Author

+1

#4 2009-04-28 23:28:01

jan
Website

Good point: “more” is a vague term, and “comments” and “dates” sound very descriptive to me!

One little doubt still: should we really hide the postdate initially?
Although you’ll want to post an article with the current date in most cases, a mistake is made easily in the cases you do want to schedule the publication in the future.
If it’s not hidden you never forget to check the postdate.

The expiration date and comments option are really optional/advanced so those can stay hidden IMHO.

Kensington TXP powered rock

#5 2009-04-28 23:28:04

rsilletti

Yup!

#6 2009-04-29 00:46:17

keith
Website

Good call, Els.

Keith
Blyth, Northumberland, England
Capture The Moment

#7 2009-04-30 02:56:52

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

The expiration date and comments option are really optional/advanced so those can stay hidden IMHO.

That’s really not always the case. Pretty much all the fields can be argued as being “required” (custom fields, etc) or “optional” (even “Title” and “Body” at times!) depending on the kind of site you’re doing. No matter what is done it would be totally arbitrary.

I really worry about visual overload, though, and having to click multiple times to get at different bits and pieces. I cannot stand how, for instance, WordPress has a collapsible section for everything.

#8 2009-04-30 04:01:44

rsilletti

I might be tempted to make a more significant change to manage screen real estate than more complex toggling, perhaps by moving the status field above the title field and making it inline and swapping the date and comments fields vertically. Expiration dates and times, which is what would be worked with actively, would be more likely to change on an article by article basis than the comment settings IMHO. A link specifically to break out the date fields would still be nice.

Given that the purpose of most collapsing fields is to make content beneath them more accessible, what is actually being accomplished by the “More” link has always confused me a bit; hiding the fields gains very little and expanding them only leaves you scrolling for what you need anyway. Moving the comment field out of the More id and beneath it, and leaving it open, and collapsing the date fields only with a link that reads “Date settings” or “Post/Expire settings” in place of “More” might present the best choices to the user.

Last edited by rsilletti (2009-04-30 04:52:43)

#9 2009-04-30 04:51:17

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

rsilletti wrote:

I might be tempted to make a more significant change to manage screen real estate than more complex toggling, perhaps by moving the status field above the title field and making it inline and swapping the date and comments fields vertically. Expiration dates and times, which is what would be worked with actively, would be more likely to change on an article by article basis than the comment settings IMHO. A link specifically to break out the date fields would still be nice.

Matter of one’s own preferences really ;)

Just like, some like the interface of OSX and others Vista. Nutshell: That is why TXP is currently themeable and plugable, thus making it customizable to all needs. The default write panel just can’t satisfy all needs, so that is why the user may and can modify it with plugins and themes.

Even when that sometimes means that the money talks… but with it you can make anything happen.

Original Els’ idea is nice, methinks. Improvements are always quite nice. Like it. Changing the core permanently too much when it is themeable, not so nice.

Last edited by Gocom (2009-04-30 04:55:18)

Board footer