Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-04-08 06:10:15

alexandra

How and where is ruud?

Hi all,

i just wonder how and where is Ruud? His last posting is dated from 24th of Feb 09. Anybody seen him?

Last edited by alexandra (2009-04-08 06:11:45)

#2 2009-04-08 08:01:07

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: How and where is ruud?

Me (not physically, though).

#3 2009-06-23 09:44:54

uli

Developer emeritus. So this is official now? And it’s not the status of a Sock Enthusiast, right?

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2009-06-23 16:18:16

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

uli wrote:

Developer emeritus.

Can I get Moderator Emeritus for my title ;)

#5 2009-06-23 20:46:32

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

I’m still here, just not as a developer anymore.

A bit of history. About three years ago, a very good friend of mine asked me to help set up a website based on Textpattern. There were lots of itches to scratch, so I began posting patches and somehow ended up being part of the dev team; a position I never really wanted or needed to be in.

Fast forward. Aforementioned website is up-and-running and most of the things that really needed fixing are now completed. To this moment, I still haven’t used TXP for anything other than that single website, though I must admit that I haven’t created any other new websites either, otherwise TXP would probably be my #1 choice ;)

The one thing that kept me working on TXP was the pleasant and friendly community here on the forum and the bugfix requests that came from it. Rewriting the parser was great fun. Helping people on the forum, solving ‘puzzles’, is something I enjoy doing.

When I was still on the outside, sending patches, my main complaint about the developers was the lack of feedback on patches that were submitted, thinking the least you could expect was a response. Now, having the experience of the other side, let me tell you: rejecting a patch or arguing against it, knowing that whoever submitted it invested precious time in it… it’s difficult, even if you have good arguments against a patch. For me, it is by far the least pleasant aspect of being a developer.

Being a TXP developer comes with obligations which I can no longer fulfill at this point in time, so after considering this for quite a long time, it leaves me with no other choice than to step back.

Regards,
—Ruud

#6 2009-06-23 21:39:44

els

Good to ‘see’ you again, Ruud, even though you’ve retired :) Thanks for all your work and especially for the parser! It may have been fun writing it, it sure is equally great fun to use it :)

Are you going to maintain your plugins?

Oh and if you ever get bored with all that spare time, I’m sure there’s a place for you in the MLP team ;)

#7 2009-06-23 21:40:36

uli

Ruud, thanks for all you gave to the whole project, as an ingenious developer, as a patient and elaborate answerer of questions, as a very kind soul of our community. I really hope you can become some other kind of enthusiast here, the months of your absence were sadly felt.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#8 2009-06-23 22:38:26

maniqui
Website

Hi ruud,

Many of us were worried about you, man! As uli said, your absence was sadly felt.

So, thanks for the update. Nice to know the story behind you and Textpattern.

And many thanks for all the things you have done for Textpattern and this community. You “picked up” TXP in a moment when there was too much FUD about the future of the project and you did a lot of effort to put it back on track, with the help of wet, Mary and Sencer.

Your help at forums, the features you have added to TXP and the plugins you have given as gifts to the TXP community are much appreciated and certainly make our lifes easier.

Are we going to see you hanging around here? I really hope so.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#9 2009-06-23 23:37:59

redbot
Plugin Author

Ruud! Happy to see you again.
Sorry if I ask but do you mean that you will “downgrade” to a patch-submitter status or that you are really leaving txp? Of course I root for the first option.

Anyway, thanks again and again for all your great work with txp!!

Last edited by redbot (2009-06-23 23:41:37)

#10 2009-06-24 00:04:06

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

Ruud – This is sad news. Thank you for the time you’ve spent on textpattern, your hard work is really appreciated. Hope to see you around these parts in the future.

#11 2009-06-24 01:12:47

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Ruud, glad to hear from you and many thanks for all your efforts.

Els, thanks for the title change.

#12 2009-06-24 02:28:47

mrdale
Website

Go with doG ruud. Thanks, you made some things work much, much better. I have your new tag parser hanging on my wall, it’s so pretty…

Board footer