Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-01-25 02:00:04

Destry
Website

Layers, Sequal Pro and You

1. [OSX] Layers (seems very slick but haven’t tried it)
  2. [OSX] Sequal Pro (Coco MySQL slayer? Others?)
  3. [ODD] Brace yourself

#2 2009-01-25 02:24:19

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Layers, Sequal Pro and You

Sequel Pro is very useful, although its mysqldumps are large (lots of whitespace characters) in fact they’re fine, see post below. Much more usable than CocoaMySQL, from which it sprang.

Last edited by jsoo (2009-01-27 13:04:16)

Code is topiary

#3 2009-01-25 10:06:28

jakob
Admin
Website

I’ve seen the buzz about “Layers” too, and while it looks very clever, I am still trying to work when I actually need to capture several windows on a screen at once and have them in a layered PSD-file. For general screenshots I use either the built-in command-shift-3 and command-shift-4 screenshot or Websnapper which will capture web pages in their entire length. Every now and then it snaps the layout incorrectly (mostly with centred-layout items). Littlesnapper is nice too but is more than just screenshotting. If you collect “inspiration” and have wanted to organise it by tag, then it’s great. Not v. cheap, though. Some things like capturing cursors or time-delayed stuff neither do, but there are plenty of other tools that do.

Sequel Pro I only recently tried out, so can’t really say much about it, but it certainly looks nice and would be a good way of bundling all those separate phpmyadmin logins.

What’s with “brace yourself”?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2009-01-25 12:02:31

saccade
Plugin Author

Thanks, Destry, for that Layer-Link.
I didn’t know anything of that until this moment – and on the other hand just was thinking about to ask the community if there is a way of making something like an automatic “grab” of all the Textpattern panels. I will try it out.

I did my screenshots with the free version of FireShot (Firefox Add-on). It also captures the entire length of a screen.

#5 2009-01-27 09:14:58

Destry
Website

jakob wrote:

What’s with “brace yourself”?

The link goes to www.you.com but brings up your localhost index.php page if you happen to have one. I first learned of the site on Twitter via Dan Benjamen who pointed it out in a similarly cryptic manner. I was a bit surprised/confused when following the link to find my local system appearing at a public address. Maybe to other people it’s not such an odd thing, but an oddity it is and not worth losing too much time over. I have no idea what or who is behind it. Don’t really care so long as it’s harmless.

As for the Mac screen grabs, yeah, that’s what I do to, currently, but I often take screen grabs only to pull them into a graphics app, dice it up and make a layered file for creating interface mockups, for example, showing workflow, state-changes, etc. Something like layers could save a lot of time in the early parsing stage if it parses image pieces in a useful way — I don’t yet.

Last edited by Destry (2009-01-27 09:55:18)

#6 2009-01-27 09:54:15

Destry
Website

jsoo wrote:

although its mysqldumps are large (lots of whitespace characters)

Oh, that’s not good.

So do you think, tit for tat, phpMyAdmin would be the better call over SP?

#7 2009-01-27 10:15:28

jakob
Admin
Website

If layers separates the contents of a browser viewport into individual layers that would be interesting, and if it can make screenshots of multiple tabs that might be too (as Michael suggests). Otherwise I can’t see a direct use for it. There’s a new tool called Snapplr that’s just out and looks like it wants to take on Littlesnapper.

The link goes to www.you.com but brings up your localhost index.php page

Ah right, I didn’t have MAMP on so it just returns an error. Thanks for the explanation.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#8 2009-01-27 10:50:53

RedFox
Website

Skitch is great … :)

#9 2009-01-27 12:22:02

Destry
Website

Wow! Skitch is cool, and I totally see utility there. Thanks for the tip, RedFox!

#10 2009-01-27 13:03:41

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Actually I retract what I wrote about Sequel Pro. It’s dumps aren’t the most compact, but having just done some side-by-side comparisons it seems fine, works quickly, altogether much better than what I ever was able to do with CocoaMySQL.

I must have been thinking about a dump from another DB manager I had tried — sorry Sequel Pro!

Code is topiary

#11 2009-02-14 07:17:42

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Regarding the you.com: that would only work for you, since the domain isn’t registered. If it does bother you, you can very likely disable it. Look in your /etc/hosts file, and comment out the appropriate lines.

Board footer