Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-01-23 20:55:14

wspence

Trying to understand the difference between Wordpress and Textpattern

from the ground up . I have noticed after building a couple of sites based on TXP and on WP, it seems TXP is a LOT faster than WP. I’m sure there’s a reason behind this, mainly being how its built from the ground up. I’m just wondering what it is in particular. Thanks in advance!

#2 2009-01-24 11:46:06

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: Trying to understand the difference between Wordpress and Textpattern

I think the simple answer to that is the lack of code. TXP was designed to be the simplest of base blocks to create a working site but with only the most basic functionality. After that, if you required extra functions you installed the relevant plug-in. This means that your code-base is only ever as big as you need it. TXP also relies more heavily on it’s database.

On the other hand WP was designed with as many “bells and whistles” in it as could be crammed in. Plug-ins seemed to be more of an “after-thought” which is probably why they are more difficult for people to install than a TXP plug-in. The point is that you end up with a code-base that contains a lot of stuff you didn’t ask for and possibly will never use but it is still there.

Last edited by thebombsite (2009-01-24 23:44:13)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#3 2009-01-24 12:32:57

keith
Website

Re: Trying to understand the difference between Wordpress and Textpattern

I think it’s fair to say that Txp is more versatile than WP too – I’ve seen some astonishingly creative uses of Txp that take it far, far beyond “just” blogging, whereas WP is still – essentially – a blogging tool.

Keith
Blyth, Northumberland, England
Capture The Moment

Board footer