Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-01-05 18:38:39

lovesangel
Website

Will someone help me build an art portfolio page please?

Hi there,

I built a website using Dreamweaver (design view with some html knowledge) and someone suggested I try textpattern to do my art portfolio page. I’d like to try it but I must honestly admit this type of content management is totally new to me and I haven’t got a clue where to begin but I’m a great learner.

Is there anyone willing to walk me through the process and contribute some design feedback and anything else I might need to get a nice looking page for my artwork? I’d really appreciate it.

My site link http://nancymurdoch.com

Thanks so much,

Nancy

#2 2009-01-05 19:17:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Will someone help me build an art portfolio page please?

Hello and welcome to our corner of the world.

someone suggested I try textpattern to do my art portfolio page.

A good idea; it’s certainly very capable. For something like an art site I often find a great source of inspiration on designs can be found at We Love TXP. Especially if you sort of have an idea of what you want to portray but are not sure what the feel of your site ought to be. Quite often browsing the sites on there will make you suddenly go “wow, yes, something a bit like this” and from there it’s a lot easier to take the steps towards creating something along those lines. It’s not plagiarism… it’s homage :-D

Is there anyone willing to walk me through the process

There are plenty of people here who can help. In addition, you may find our Textbook a valuable resource. Especially the Tutorials section (the primer and first steps are excellent introductions to the way TXP works). And when you become more at ease with the naming conventions (pages, forms, articles, etc) places such as TxpTips and the FAQ are great places to find answers and help on how to do stuff. You’re likely to find tips there specifically aimed at creating photo-based sites or photoblogs. And of course this forum is brimming with ideas and solutions.

…contribute some design feedback

I kind of take a back seat here; design is not my thing. I sort of know a good user interface when I try it but I’m rather hopeless at actually creating them. Plus I don’t have a designers’ flair. There are many (many!) here who do, so if you post questions someone will invariably put their spin on it to help you.

And when you have something to show off, the Let’s See Yours Then section of the forum is a great place to receive even more feedback. In fact, you can also use that section like welovetxp to scope out ideas, as it’s a good place to see existing designs and feedback that’s already posted.

In short, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll help however we can :-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2009-01-05 19:48:18

lovesangel
Website

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I’ve had a brief read-through of the sections you highlighted and although those are great reference sources, it’s all still totally foreign to me. It feels like I walked into a room where everyone is speaking Chinese.

I’m at the point where I understand I need to download the program. I can do that, but from there forward I would kind of like to interact with a person who can help guide me, like on IM chat or something … or even here, step by step. I don’t have a clear understanding of what content management web building is even about; I just know that the way I have my art displayed isn’t working and I need to do it differently.

I’m not in a hurry,
Nancy

#4 2009-01-05 20:15:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

lovesangel wrote:

It feels like I walked into a room where everyone is speaking Chinese.

Hehehe, yes, I remember that feeling only too well. The untuned radio of Textpattern speak, where you understand the individual words, but the context eludes.

I would kind of like to interact with a person who can help guide me, like on IM chat or something …

No problem. The techie stuff is my domain. Drop me a forum e-mail and I’ll add you to my MSN or AIM/Yahoo/ICQ/whatever they call themselves these days. We can walk thru the installation and some setting up stuff sometime.

Assumptions:

1. Your web host meets the minimum requirements
  2. You’ve got an FTP client like Filezilla for uploading the files

If you’ve got those, we’re laughing.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2009-01-05 20:27:21

els

There is also a demo.

#6 2009-01-05 20:40:36

lovesangel
Website

Thank you Els, I will be sure to watch the demo.

And Stef, I have no idea if my site meets the requiremnts. I have no idea what php and all the rest means. But, I Netsolutions is my server host and I upload files through that by clicking on “put” in my dreamweaver software. I have a sense I’m good to go.

I tried to find how to send you a forum email but alas, that skill has eluded me as well. So, both my yahoo and msn IM addresses are basically the same, but I prefer yahoo chat. lovesangelawaits@yahoo.com

nancy

#7 2009-01-05 21:18:11

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

lovesangel wrote:

I have no idea what php and all the rest means.

No probs. The demo is useful (thanks Els, I’d forgotten about that).

TXP is very low-spec so I’m sure you’ll be fine with the server. Is this your hosting company? Looks ok if so.

We certainly won’t be using dreamweaver for the uploading of files or managing of content. Files are initially uploaded using an FTP client; your database is set up via your web host’s control panel and everything else in this CMS (content, layout, whatever) is managed via a web browser, so get comfy with your browser of choice.

I tried to find how to send you a forum email but alas, that skill has eluded me as well.

:-) Over there to the left under my ridiculous picture is an E-mail link which allows you to write a message to me. Or, if you can stomach my web site, hit ‘Comments’ in the nav panel.

I’ve added you to my Buddy List but you’re not showing up as online yet. I don’t have a Yahoo account as such, but was under the impression that Yahoo and ICQ could interoperate via this IM tool I use (Pidgin). Perhaps not, I don’t know. Maybe I’ll have to make a Yahoo account anyway. *shrug*

#8 2009-01-05 21:42:43

lovesangel
Website

Hi Stef,

This is the link I could find for my host … http://www.alldayshopping.com/internet/nsol.htm I’m comfortable with explorer.

I have msn lovesangelawaits@hotmail.com

Below your photo it only shows your website, not an email link. I noticed the email link below my name, but yours doesn’t show up on my screen. I tried uploading a photo for my profile but can’t get that to work either. It keeps saying its too large even though its 60 × 60 pixes and less than the byte size. No big deal not important, I have no problem remaining a mystery woman.

Nancy

#9 2009-01-05 21:48:36

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

lovesangel wrote:

This is the link I could find for my host … http://www.alldayshopping.com/internet/nsol.htm

Weird, doesn’t work for me. Oh well.

Below your photo it only shows your website, not an email link.

Ah right, yeah, forum rules in play. New members can’t e-mail straight away; it takes a while (your guess is as good as mine how long).

I’ve sent you an e-mail anyway.

#10 2009-01-05 21:58:40

lovesangel
Website

Try this – http://customersupport.networksolutions.com

Did you send the email to nancy@loves-angel.com or somewhere here in the forum? I haven’t received it yet.
Nancy

#11 2009-01-05 22:09:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

lovesangel wrote:

http://customersupport.networksolutions.com

OK, if you have any of the UNIX hosting packages, everything is fine and you’re good to go. If you have the Windows package, ummm, you’re not.

Did you send the email to…

Yes. Subject is “Me”.

If you haven’t got it, check your junk mail folder. My e-mail has a habit of popping up there because I spout , ummm, junk I guess.

#12 2009-01-05 22:26:42

lovesangel
Website

I don’t have a junk mail folder with my email hosting package, but I just phoned them and they have a filter. So if their filter deems it “junk” it won’t even make it to my box. She said to ask you what your IP address is and they can look it up and see why it was labeled spam, but I’m thinking it might be easier if we just chat our way through this. Since you are more adept at all this techy stuff, is it too much t ask for you to open a yahoo account?

Nancy

Board footer