Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-12-29 18:09:14

jmart

moving website over with IP address

I’m replace a client’s old website with the newly TXP designed one that I have for him. I usually just point the domain nameservers to the new hosting company, but this has to be done differently. I have to use only the server’s IP address instead.

My question is;
Do I just input the IP address as the site url under the basic preferences section of the admin area as opposed to typically using a domain url? And that’s all I have to do from a TXP installation standpoint? Of course, there is FTP and I’ll just an IP address instead of the domain url as well.

Never done this and want to make sure it goes off w/o a hitch for the client.

#2 2008-12-29 18:37:32

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: moving website over with IP address

Using an IP address (IPnr) as the site URL can work, but only if you have a dedicated IPnr. If the IPnr is used for virtual webhosting, where multiple domains share that IPnr, you really do need the IPnr to reach the website.

Perhaps an alternative: I assume the new server is set up with the correct future domain name already and it’s just the DNS servers that aren’t updated yet. In that case you could create a local hosts.txt file which contains a manual override for the translation of the domain name to the IPnr. That way, your own computer thinks ‘example.com’ is at the new IPnr instead of the old IPnr (because hosts.txt takes precedence over DNS) and you can simply browse there using the domain name instead of IPnr. This of course would only work for you, unless you tell your client to do the same thing (meanwhile other visitors still see the old website).

#3 2008-12-29 20:28:06

jmart

Before I explore that option (which is foreign to me), I was told by the existing hosting company that we keep the name servers pointed at the existing hosting company, and when the website is ready, that I should send them the IP address and they’ll change the ‘www’ record for us.

The reason we’re doing it this way is because the client wants to keep his email up and there is zero email downtime.

Would this work? Or is it irrelevant because we’re still going to be on a virtual webhost.

#4 2008-12-29 21:15:43

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

If you’re going to be on a virtual host, you’ll have to take the alternative route I suggested and use the real domain name in TXP instead of the IPnr. You can still keep the name servers pointing at the old IPnr.

Board footer