Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-12-13 19:58:43

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

WordPress v2.7

Yesterday, I decided to give Wordpress v2.7 a try on my local XAMPP install.

After kicking the tires and taking it for a spin, I decided to convert a Textpattern install I had done for a friend into a Wordpress one. My friend, hadn’t used her site much, so I thought I’d try an experiment, to see if the new WP interface would get her blogging.

The Wordpress import connects to a MySQL server, so I loaded up a backup into XAMPP. I entered all the paramaters and it went about importing users, articles, comments and links. Can’t remember if it did categories because all the articles went into Uncategorized. One thing it should ask for is what article field to use, the html or textiled version. Cause it imported the one with Textile, forcing you to either install a plugin or massage the imported articles.

I uploaded the Wordpress files to my host, and imported the new database into MySQL. I had to change some urls in the Options and regenerated the Permalinks htaccess, for the new locale. When the site was running locally, the admin was popping, in order to have the same effect on the remote host, I installed Google Gears. With Gears, the Wordpress install copied to my local machine a total of 259 assets: images, javascript, css and html files.

All total, it took me a few hours to get the site running, from import to tweaking the new theme. Wendaly should like the new look, I hope she also starts using the admin, the test begins.

With Wordpress v2.7, the writing is on the wall, let’s hope that other projects can read.

Last edited by hcgtv (2008-12-13 20:40:56)

#2 2008-12-15 15:21:12

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: WordPress v2.7

Is this you Wet?

Thanks Yous
Vladimir Kolesnikov, wasp, wet, wfrantz

#3 2008-12-15 15:45:40

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Yes, etc.

#4 2008-12-18 12:54:25

Destry
Website

WP blog wrote:

Last, but certainly not least, this may be the last time you ever have to manually upgrade WordPress again. We heard how tired you were of doing upgrades for yourself and your friends, so now WordPress includes a built-in upgrade that will automatically notify you of new releases, and when you’re ready it will download them, install them, and upgrade your blog with a single click.

Wow!

For those of you wondering why we didn’t call this release 3.0, it’s because we abhor version number inflation.

He-he!

Board footer