Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-12-01 19:19:19

dreamer

searching for a photo gallery/membership login script

I asked around privately to some TXP members and they said the following may be too much work to implement with the TXP platform….or too complicated. Though, I’m open to hearing otherwise.

So I’d like recommendations for an outside script that does this;

I have a client that has the following specific needs. Feedback on a script is appreciated. I realize that maybe not all the features may be found in the script but something as close as possible would be great.

About: Client runs exotic workshops on photography by taking photographers around the world. Client needs a photo gallery script that will allow the following;

1- Client wants to display photographs in a gallery format.
2- Should allow a user to register as a member with a login id/password. Should allow user to have their PW emailed them should they forget.
3- Should allow a member to upload images with a maximum number of images they can upload.
4- Should allow client to create a list of past events that will allow members to choose and then upload relevant photos for that specific event.
5- Photos are viewable by all but only members can upload.
6- Should allow client to designate how big of a filesize the photographs should be.
7- Should allow for sorting based on past workshops or some other pre-determined classification.
8- There should be an overview page and when a user clicks on each destination, a gallery of people who participated with their name and headshot and their 15-20 images.

#2 2008-12-01 19:39:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: searching for a photo gallery/membership login script

dreamer wrote:

I think you’re in the realms of custom code there. It’s quite specific. From TXP’s perspective, yes, it’s a tall order but possibly doable. Let me see, off the top of my head:

1. Easy: smd_gallery
  2. Easy: ign_password_protect and mem_self_register
  3. From the back end = easy with fpx_image_import. From the front end it’s custom code time or sed_afu. Limiting the number of images would require a hack to the plugin and/or some additional database field against a user’s name to indicate when they’ve “done enough”. Alternatively, sed_pcf might be able to help if you set up an article per “event” and used a custom field to hold the IDs of everyone who has reached the limit
  4. Set up an article per event and make a correspondingly-named image category for images to go into
  5. mem_self_register takes care of the membership bit. rvm_privileged may be able to be used (if ign_password_protect’s logged_in event can’t help) to offer different content depending if the user is logged in or not
  6. File size is really down to the server config. You can set the max file size in advanced prefs but the server may override that. Not sure if the file size in the prefs is just for files or if it covers images too; never tested it
  7. If workshops are put into categories and events are articles you have all the sorting options open to the <txp:article /> or <txp:article_custom /> tag
  8. smd_gallery and (probably) smd_query can help with this. The headshots can be in a separate image category and tied to their login name so when people view a gallery, all people who have submitted pics for the current event can be grabbed via smd_query and displayed directly above the gallery for that event (generated via smd_gallery). smd_query may not be necessary because a 2nd smd_gallery tag can be used with the “headshots” category and a list of login names or IDs from a custom field. Depends how you set it up

It’s not easy but it’s definitely within reach of TXP with a little bit of PHP magic and some cunning plugins.

Last edited by Bloke (2008-12-01 19:47:58)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2008-12-01 20:35:20

dreamer

Yeah, I can tell that this is a tall order for me to try to code myself. I’ll probably have to find an outside script. I’d consider hiring a TXPer for this if anyone here works for about $40-$50/hour and has the necessary skillsets and understanding.

#4 2008-12-01 20:52:11

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

dreamer wrote:

I’ll probably have to find an outside script.

Not sure what you mean. You mean like a tool that already does (most of) what you want, e.g. something like Flickr or some photo gallery software that you can also muck about with? There’s plenty out there but I’m not sure there is anything as specific as this. I could be wrong: that’s not my area of expertise.

I’d consider hiring a TXPer for this if anyone here works for about $40-$50/hour and has the necessary skillsets and understanding.

Hehe, I’d code for chocolate or stuff off my wishlist! I have the understanding, perhaps the skillset depending on project timescales, but I don’t have any spare time to devote to it right now. Sorry.

Last edited by Bloke (2008-12-01 20:54:25)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2008-12-01 20:55:15

dreamer

Bloke wrote:

Not sure what you mean. You mean like a tool that already does (most of) what you want, e.g. something like Flickr or some photo gallery software that you can also muck about with? There’s plenty out there but I’m not sure there is anything as specific as this.

Yeah, I’m referring to an outside script. I don’t think there is one that fits EXACTLY the client’s needs, but something close with a few compromises.

Hehe, I’d code for chocolate or stuff off my wishlist! I have the understanding, perhaps the skillset depending on project timescales, but I don’t have any spare time to devote to it right now. Sorry.

Dude- you almost had me believing this until you threw in the “but”. You TXP teaser you :)

Last edited by dreamer (2008-12-01 20:55:32)

#6 2008-12-01 21:05:18

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

dreamer, have a look at 4images: http://www.4homepages.de/

Last edited by hcgtv (2008-12-01 21:05:41)

#7 2008-12-01 21:44:11

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve used Gallery for something like this but now that I’ve experienced Textpattern Gallery always feels bulky.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

Board footer