Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-10-21 05:35:19

kvnmcwebn
Website

seo and two domain names

Hi,
If i point two domains to the same site how will that effect seo?
Will rankings be independent for each name?
Both domain names will be relevant to search terms but are unrelated to each other.
I will point them to the same server using what media temple calls a symbolic link, which is done at the apache level so theres no redirect. Hope that makes sense.
thanks

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#2 2008-10-21 06:11:17

maniqui
Website

Re: seo and two domain names

kvnmcwebn wrote:

Will rankings be independent for each name?

If you want both domains to be on search engine results page, the effect may be negative, the site ranking may be “diluted”, or worst, hurted.
Probably, search engines will see both sites as different sites… until they discover they are exactly the same (by comparing content, or by some “technical” sniffing, like both sites not only have the same content but also come from the same ip, etc)… and that may really hurt your SEO.

Both domain names will be relevant to search terms but are unrelated to each other.

That may be considered abuse too. If you can have two domains with relevant keywords for different searches and think that you won’t not be hurt but also you will be rewarded , then you will wish to have as many relevant domains as you want.
In other words, it also should be avoided, because it can be seen as an spam tactic.

It’s better to pick one (the best) of those two, and then, you can create a folder/section (or even a subdomain) using the keywords you would have used in the other one.
Example:
instead of having:

http://www.cookiesrecipes.com
and
http://www.chocolatecookies.com

it may be better to have:
http://www.cookiesrecipes.com/chocolate-cookies/
or
http://chocolate.cookiesrecipes.com (this one is seen as another page by search engines).

My example is not the best, but it hoe it illustrates what I’m trying to say.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2008-10-21 10:06:09

kvnmcwebn
Website

hi maniqui,
thanks a million- I didnt know that, but it totally makes sense .

I will do it this way with two separate textpattern installs:
http://chocolate.cookiesrecipes.com

Since were on this subject I have another concern:
I did a site a good while back and just used article custom id to display the articles in pages, it was one of the first sites i did with txp…

so the urls look like this:
www.domain.com/section

If I changed that to display the article name as well would it help or hurt? :
www.domain.com/section/article

I mean i know that it would have helped if the site was just being launched but
the site has god search engine saturation allready. thanks again

photogallery

#4 2008-10-21 13:40:56

maniqui
Website

Kevin, you are welcome.
But don’t take my word as the last one, do some researching on the topic because I may be wrong in some details. You know, no one knows exactly how search engines work. Here you have an article about demystifying duplicate content on Google Webmaster Central.

About your concerns for the other site:
you can start by linking the article (section/article) from (/section), to avoid breaking currently indexed links.
So the article will be accessible through both URLs, which may not be harmful according the article linked above.
Then, you can also do some redirect from /section to /section/article using .htaccess or maybe zem_redirect pro (which is available somewhere but not documented anywhere).
Or no redirects at all, if you think in the future you may want to show something different on /section than on /section article.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2008-10-21 16:03:07

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

If those show dublicate content, then yes. If they point to the same location, or you can see same content via both, then only working way is to redirect the other to other.

In example you have two domains: buugie.com and oni.com. Now you can do a simple redirect, all calls to oni.com are redirect to buugie.com. Or, you can do it more “pro”. In exammple, call oni.com/under-your-bed/ could be redirect to buugie.com/under-your-bed/, etc, which way one domain will hold all the content.

But definetly you can’t use two domains for same site if those show absolutely same content.

Last edited by Gocom (2008-10-21 16:04:06)

#6 2008-10-22 18:56:44

kvnmcwebn
Website

ok this is going to be a problem for me.

photogallery

Board footer