Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2004-07-16 04:13:39

JeffClark
Website

[archived] tjb_JammingOut: iTunes/Now Playing

Notice: This thread is archived, this plugin is no longer available.

Well it’s about time someone updated the iTunes plug-in, so I asked my PHP-genius friend to hack up an old one for use on <a href=“http://www.vacantcanvas.com”>my site</a> … and instead he just made a whole new one. Many props to Tanner Burson, non-txp user and non-blogger.

I used his code and created a plug-in out of it. Here’s the link.

The plug-in utilizes the most recent <a href=“http://brandon.fuller.name/archives/hacks/nowplaying/”>Now Playing iTunes visualizer by Brandon Fuller</a> as of 15 July 2004 at 11:08PM Central time. Everything you need to know on how to use it is in the plug-in.

The only thing not working at the moment is the “publish a stop message when iTunes exits” option in the visualizer config. Usually this outputs something like “Not Playing”, but since I don’t want that, I didn’t ask him to put it in for me. If someone knows how to do that, post the code in here and I’ll add it in.

Let me know what you think-
Jeff

Last edited by JeffClark (2004-07-16 06:13:30)

Proof that any idiot can have a website: www.vacantcanvas.com

#2 2004-12-03 19:22:49

mattw
Website

Re: [archived] tjb_JammingOut: iTunes/Now Playing

I don’t suppose there’s a Mac iTunes version floating around somewhere, since Now Playing only works on the Windows version of iTunes?

#3 2004-12-03 19:29:57

edburdo
Website

You should add something to allow people to turn the regular link to the song into an affiliate link (using iTunes affiliate program). Then you could monetize your iTunes playlist if you wanted. :)

Eric

#4 2004-12-03 22:35:31

Yurodivy

Yeah, for Macs try <a href=“http://old.thoughtanomalies.com/offerings/ituneswatcher/” target=”_blank”>iTunesWatcher</a>. I have it implemented <a href=“http://www.patchchord.com/blog” target=”_blank”>on my site</a> under the “listening” section.

Last edited by Yurodivy (2004-12-03 22:37:45)

#5 2004-12-04 00:35:53

JeffClark
Website

Everyone I know that has a mac and does that uses iTunesWatcher, so I think that’s a pretty good bet.

#6 2004-12-04 04:11:22

gonzo409
Website

I’d like to see a free alternative to Fuller’s iTunes plugin. Perhaps $10 is not a lot, but after student loans, car insurance, groceries and a few bills, my paycheck is GONE!!

Whoops!

Liberal. Geek.

#7 2004-12-04 04:15:27

JeffClark
Website

Yeah, but come on: think of all the free open-source software (and/or pirated software you may own – if not, disregard) that you’re using. If you haven’t ever donated to an open-source projcet, $10 isn’t much for something as great as this! Plus it keeps development coming.

#8 2004-12-20 06:29:14

mattw
Website

Thanks for the link to iTunesWatcher!

#9 2005-01-08 23:33:12

Nooon

I can’t get iTunesWatcher to download albumcovers! The songinfo turn up just nicely, but it seems that the Amazon-bit doesn’t work.
I’ve tried with both my own Subscription ID and someone elses API Token, but still no art.
Did you guys have to modify something to get the art downloaded?

#10 2005-01-09 00:48:18

JeffClark
Website

When the plugin was initially created, it was made for me alone — and I didn’t want album art.

I haven’t actually tried this yet, so this may not work — but it could be something to start working from:

The XML file reads out something like this with the link to the image:
<image provider="Amazon"> http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000DIC87.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg </image>

The XML is parsed (or hacked since this code is dirty apparently) like this:
foreach($index['XML_FIELD] as $val){ $titles[]=$vals[$val]['value']; // echo $vals[$val]['value']; }

Where XML_FIELD can be changed to the name of the XML field — in this case IMAGE.

Now go down to where the data is displayed and just add
$image[$i] wherever you want the album art to show up.

Someone who knows XML and PHP stuff better than I, please feel free to correct or flame me.

HOLY CRAP I can’t get the damn code to show up. Anyone know how to make code show up in the forum without stripping tags out?

Last edited by JeffClark (2005-01-09 00:54:19)

#11 2005-01-11 00:07:28

tkn
Website

On the Mac I use iTunesWatcher combined with Recent Tunes.

Nooon, you shouldn’t have to modify anything to get art to show. If you include a link to your website, then people can look at it and maybe figure out where things went wrong. Are you using a clean install of iTunesWatcher or did you modify it in any way?

Board footer