Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-09-01 23:09:43

eggnog
Website

TXP development process

As a newcomer to Textpattern (and CMS’s in general) I was wondering what the recommended approach to developing a new site is? In particular, do you build locally or remote? The first site I built with TXP was started locally, then migrated over when near completion. Although the transfer of the files and database went pretty smoothly, I’m still curious as to how the rest of you more experienced developers do it? I found an older thread where several users advocated using the subdomain method on the target server. Any other supporters of this approach?

Last edited by eggnog (2008-09-01 23:33:05)

#2 2008-09-02 06:58:11

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: TXP development process

I do it locally and then transfer but I suppose you can do it whichever you prefer. With good broadband the difference has become less important. If you do it locally, you don’t have to have a live internet connection and it’s generally speedier at responding. You just need to watch that your development environment and the target server environment aren’t greatly different as different MySQL versions, rewrite settings or similar can put a spanner in the works at a later stage in development (character encodings for foreign language sites are a favourite problem when transferring between MySQL3 to MySQL 4+).

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2008-09-02 12:39:10

gomedia
Plugin Author

I develop sites locally as well. When I’ve got something to show the client or the site goes live I backup the TXP database locally, transfer it (& CSS, images etc) to the live site & restore it. There’s normally a couple of settings to tweak in Admin – Prefs to get it to work but the process is very straightforward.

I use rss_admin_db_manager to do the backup/restore (once I had to use phpmyadmin on the live site to restore but it wasn’t a big deal).

Of course when the reins are handed over to the client, master copy of the website is then the live version.

#4 2008-09-02 14:02:35

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Mostly I just write code, in example plugins for Textpattern sites, php (plus couplemultiplecouple other weblangs), so I don’t usually “make” the whole site by myself.

But those I do, or we do, work like mirrors. I, or we, have my own local server, svn (sometimes using) and then the real server that gets the live modifications by pressing a one damn button (yeah, imagined right, a real large red button – no, really a mouse click). That way the changes won’t cause anykind of maintenance time and others can commit changes too. So, yeah, basically everything work is done “locally”.

Btw, my new upcoming personal (quite offtopic to the earlier) plugin repo site, is going to use that same system, ‘cause i just hate moving stuff around and writing multiple docs. Automatication is quite good thing – untill Terminator happens :D

jakob wrote:

You just need to watch that your development environment and the target server environment aren’t greatly different as different MySQL versions.

Two ways to fix that. A new compatiple local server or new live real bad ass server ;D Btw, too old systems are just too old.

Last edited by Gocom (2008-09-02 14:03:18)

#5 2008-09-02 14:37:01

renobird
Website

eggnog,

I build sites in a subdirectory of the remote server. I used to work locally and then transfer and troubleshoot everything…It always felt like an extra step. If you have a good broadband connection – there’s really very little difference IMO.

Board footer