Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-08-23 09:24:37

zero
Website

[contrib] TXPQ - Free to good home

Who would like to develop TXPQ into the true community site it was always meant to be?

Please email me if you’re interested.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#2 2008-08-23 10:16:20

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [contrib] TXPQ - Free to good home

zero wrote:

Who would like to develop TXPQ into the true community site it was always meant to be?

Would love to, but 2 things hold me back:

1. I’m not a god web designer, nor a good content writer
  2. I am struggling to even finish my own plugins and sites right now
  3. I can’t count

In short, I would not be able to do it justice. I do hope it finds a new home with a caring parent like you.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2008-08-24 16:42:58

jakob
Admin
Website

Peter, that’s a real pity. At the beginning I was initially skeptical about it diluting txpmag.com (but you were right, alex did drop it), but you have since made it into something really worthwhile and I’ve enjoyed learning more about the people here in the forum. You seem to have lots of energy, whyever would you want to stop when it’s going strong?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2008-08-24 17:50:29

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hey guys, Peter did not mention about stopping (correct me if I’m wrong). He’s just asking for help in developing txpq further.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2008-08-24 20:39:20

zero
Website

I’m feeling drained after putting so much energy into Textbook only to discover I am the bad guy who done wrong. It was like that with TXPQ too. There was some enthusiasm when I started it but also a definite non-response from those who were wanting txpmag.com to revive. The reason for this? Me. I never was very popular, diplomatic or in tune with the majority and I’m too old to change my ways very much now.

TXPQ needs someone much more popular and people-friendly than me to lead it. It will go nowhere with me. There’s surely someone who enjoys blogging, can write some inspirational articles, get others to join in and develop TXPQ. Perhaps it’s the opportunity for an ambitious young aspiring journalist; or someone who writes great technical articles but hasn’t got an audience. I don’t know. It could go in all kinds of ways, but just so long as the present articles are kept and future articles are of interest to TXP users, then I think everyone would welcome someone willing to give it a go.

Perhaps I’m wrong to think it should be one person, perhaps it should be two or three. But from past experience I’ve found there can be lots of discussion and not much getting done, so sometimes it’s necessary to take the bull by the horns and just go ahead and do it – then see what happens. That’s what I did with TXPQ and Textbook. Perhaps that’s why I feel so much resistance – people see it as my pet project, they don’t like me much, so they don’t come near. But TXPQ is up and running, got good page rank and I will pass it over with no strings attached. You can completely redesign it, redirect it and revitalize it in any way you see fit. I’m moving on.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#6 2008-08-24 22:48:29

jakob
Admin
Website

Peter, I still think it’s a pity and I wouldn’t say you are not people-friendly at all – in fact you have focused on people and profiled more TXP forum members than any previous txp-related sites. People might see it as your pet project, but only because you’ve given txpq a distinct personality and that’s a good thing in my view. So, I’d much rather see it as colak says: “he’s just asking for help in developing txpq further”.

asking for help in developing txpq further…

In terms of content, the other thread on txp-org and the usefulness of ratings or download statistics for plugins shows that there is a clear need for more orientation with regard to plugins, where one needs them or can (now) achieve the same with txp’s in-built functions, some kind of help in choosing a plugin in particularly heavily represented categories, e.g. galleries, menu plugins, tagging/unlimited categories… When 4.07 comes out, there will be a similar need to know the potential of the new tags and parser, which plugins are effectively made redundant etc. All these aren’t covered by textpattern solutions and most of them also have a less ‘official’ character less appropriate for the textbook. Perhaps this is a direction txpq could go in?

- – -

Regarding your other comments on the textbook, I’ll steer around the emotionally loaded “bad guy” and “done wrong” phrases, but will say that I think you’ve definitely succeeded in advancing things again and that’s very welcome – without your initiative things might have been quiet for a while longer. The fact that there seem to be two textbooks in the offing that don’t look like they are converging is steering towards a no-win situation where if both exist they dilute each other and create uncertainty and if only one exists, the other is likely to feel devalued. No-one relishes the task of having to decide for one or the other or to vote on it. In your version or proposal, you’ve made objective suggestions for improving usability, layout and presentation and it would be best if ‘one could find a way’ of aligning the two again…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#7 2008-08-25 01:07:45

nardo

Peter – generating content is an uphill slog on the best of days, don’t be disheartened – in fact kudos for what you have achieved

#8 2008-08-25 09:52:11

Destry
Website

nardo wrote:

generating content is an uphill slog on the best of days, don’t be disheartened

Truer words can not be said, even if one doesn’t spread themself too thin with good intention. Hang in there, if perhaps not with such a wide grip. The TXPQ project is a worthwhile effort.

Board footer