Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-06-27 04:26:20

iaian7
Plugin Author
Website

an7_flickr

Using your Flickr screen name, an7_flickr adds Flickr image support to the Write tab in Textpattern. Customise it with the number of recent photos to display (default is 20), and even look up other photos by ID number (from the Flickr URL).

Clicking an image will add the appropriate Lightbox code to your body text, creating instant Flickr integration with Textpattern and whichever lightbox style script you prefer (Slimbox is highly recommended). Plain thumbnails and full size image embedding are also options, with links back to the original Flickr page.

Flickr API integration by Elihu Ihms, Textpattern plugin by John Einselen.

More info on the website: iaian7.com.

(as a side note, loading the Write tab can slow down while the system waits for responses from Flickr. When embedded, the images are direct links to the Flickr image servers, and shouldn’t slow down your public site at all)

VFX artist, photographer, designer, CG generalist, and hobbyist web developer
My TXP sites: blog | reels | portfolios

#2 2008-07-01 08:12:28

Niconemo

Re: an7_flickr

I’m currently testing. Can be a nice and useful plugin, I use it complementary with vdh_flickr for photo galeries (with the same slimbox look and feel). A great new plugin. Thank you !

A few suggestions though…

It would be nice if we coudld have a different setting for the default thumbnail in the article size (I prefer small than square) and the recent photo (there square takes less space). That could be a great enhancement.

Le linked size then : could be cool to be able to change the default size on the fly (if needed)… original instead of medium, for example.

Another thing : I’d prefer a kind of popup window with a thumbnail list (like in upm_insert_image, and that would probably help for the 2 previous suggestions…) than a heavy thumbnail view at the bottom.

Tanks again

Last edited by Niconemo (2008-07-01 13:45:35)

Nico

#3 2008-07-01 13:36:10

iaian7
Plugin Author
Website

Cool, thanks for the suggestions! Glad someone is testing it out.

Right now both thumbnails and fullsize picture types can be changed in the plugin script. Not on the fly (yet), but they are customisable. Being able to mix your own on the fly is probably helpful, as would be saving it to a cookie so you don’t have to keep re-doing it every time you write an article. I’ll try to work these into the next version.

A popup window is an interesting idea, though an overlay does interfere with easily editing the text while inserting images. Right now I’m using the admittedly heavy image gallery below the text fields because it’s easy. :D Ultimately, I’d prefer it on the left hand side, in an expandable menu item just under “Recent Articles”. Unfortunately, I haven’t found any tutorials for adding that in the admin side. Surely there’s something on the forums, so I’ll keep looking, but so far haven’t found the solution.

#4 2008-07-01 14:08:21

Niconemo

Hope you’ll find what you need. It’s a cool plugin anyway.

iaian7 wrote:

Right now both thumbnails and fullsize picture types can be changed in the plugin script. Not on the fly (yet), but they are customisable. Being able to mix your own on the fly is probably helpful, as would be saving it to a cookie so you don’t have to keep re-doing it every time you write an article. I’ll try to work these into the next version.

OK. That sounds good.

And what about the first point :

It would be nice if we could have a different setting for the default thumbnail in the article size (I prefer small than square) and the recent photo (there square takes less space). That could be a great enhancement.

If I make no mistake, it’s the same setting that rules the size of the image in the bottom thumbnails list AND the size of the thumbnail embeded in the acticle body. ($thumb = "square_url";)
Then, if I set $thumb to small_url image (instead of square_url) in the plugin code, the bottom list become huge !
That’s why I think $thumb could be separated in two settings (something like $thumb and $backend-thumb).

Another suggestion while I’m around there ;-) :
The code is pasted at the end of the body. I’m sure you ever have thought about this but what about inserting it where the insersion point (the text cursor) is ?

All that are only suggestions of one that isn’t even able to code any plugin. :-)

Last edited by Niconemo (2008-07-01 14:32:34)

Nico

#5 2008-07-01 15:38:51

Niconemo

Wow ! I’ve juste seen how it automagically detects if there are several images (embeded separately) to generate the prev/next links as if it was a gallery. Good job !

Last edited by Niconemo (2008-07-01 15:41:06)

Nico

#6 2008-07-02 08:14:34

jstubbs
Website

Sounds like a great plugin! Must test it out..

#7 2009-09-22 05:10:55

iaian7
Plugin Author
Website

an7_flickr has been updated to version 0.4.4, fixing errors with special characters in Flickr titles. This has the downside of obfuscating the text a little (even spaces get encoded), but makes the process a bit more stable.

Visit the site for more: iaian7.com/txp/an7_flickr

#8 2009-10-27 23:49:01

Daragh
Website

Well, my geek kung fu must be weak today – can’t get this working.

I know you’re not flickr, but what exactly is my flickr username? Is it the screenname (“signed in as: X” at the top of the screen), the yahoo ID with yahoo.com, the yahoo ID without yahoo.com, or the thing that shows up in my Flickr URLs? Not getting any good answers from flickr help, so I thought I’d ask here. Feel like if I get that sorted, I can rule out a possible problem.

For what it’s worth, the div for the plugin shows up at the bottom of the write screen, and placeholder broken images show where the flickr pics should probably go.

Thanks for any help!

#9 2009-10-28 00:51:44

iaian7
Plugin Author
Website

The username should be the Flickr screenname, as seen in your photostream url. For example, my photostream URL is http://www.flickr.com/photos/iaian7/ and my user name is “iaian7”. Hope that helps!

#10 2009-10-28 12:25:13

Daragh
Website

Okay, thanks John. Much help to rule that out, but still no joy. I’m even more embarrassed to ask the following question: should the path to js_flickr.php be a) a relative path (relative to…?) b) an absolute web path (http:) or c) server path?

I tried setting up my own flickr API key, and pointing js_flickr.php at it, but when I check at flickr it says the key hasn’t been accessed, so I’m wondering if the plugin is calling the flickr javascript correctly at all.

Again, thanks kindly!

#11 2009-10-28 13:17:36

geoff777
Plugin Author
Website

Hi,

I’ve installed this plugin.

I’m seeing the square thumbs at the bottom of the write tab.

If I click on the thumb nothing happens.
edit – I do see the thumbs link to http://www.mysite.com/textpattern/index.php?event=article#body …. but nada.

I can drag the thumb to the body or excerpt box …

Any ideas?

Not sure I have slimbox installed correctly – which directory should it go in?
Edit – Slimbox working on site.

Thanks

Last edited by geoff777 (2009-10-28 14:20:18)

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

#12 2009-10-28 18:44:54

geoff777
Plugin Author
Website

I found the problem.

I use the hak_tinymce plugin.

Not sure if you can write to the body html bypassing the hak plugin?

If not I can always toggle or use Textile …

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

Board footer