Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-06-25 17:21:18

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

SEO Questions

Hi folks!

First. Is somebody could explain me how to obtain a compact presentation of all uri of a website like this one for textpattern

Second. What about the pages categories within a txp website for SEO. Do you think we need to add specific keywords for these or not? Do you think we need specific titles for these or not?

Third. I read on the “Quality Webmaster Blog” these SEO advices :

“(…) your title tags:

• should contain the keywords for that particular page <- Yes, I agree.
  • should not include your blog or company name <- Oops. What an idea???
  • should be short and concise <- Yes, I agree.
  • should have the most important keywords first <- Yes, I agree.
  • should not include words like “the”, “by”, “that” <- Yes, of course.
  • should be unique for every page” <- Yes, I agree.

What do you think about that?

Best regards all,

Last edited by Pat64 (2008-06-25 17:24:40)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#2 2008-06-25 18:14:27

els

Re: SEO Questions

Pat64 wrote:

• should not include your blog or company name <- Oops. What an idea???

I have seen that one as well (don’t remember where), and I’d really like to learn why not. Since I read that I’ve been paying more attention to page titles, and less than 1% of all sites seem to follow this advice.

#3 2008-06-25 18:23:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I’d like to know why not as well. From a branding perspective it makes sense, you’d think!

I can understand not putting the company name first; rather: “article | section | site name” or something, but omitting it entirely seems a bit odd, if for no other reason than when someone bookmarks a page, is it better to see a load of things like:

“The state of the world”

or

“The state of the world | MegaNews.com”

so you know whose state of the world it was?

Last edited by Bloke (2008-06-25 18:24:29)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2008-06-25 19:16:44

zero
Website

I think it’s just that when looking through search results, people are looking for their keywords and surrounding text to see if it is likely to be what they want. A site name at that point is irrelevant or excess information. But I guess it depends on your site name. TXPQ is short and sweet but Ultra Mega Marketing Company Inc of America is more like spam.

Re: Textpattern · A Flexible, Elegant and Easy-To-Use Content … that’s the meta description (shows how important a meta description is) but the list of sections of the site, afaik, is down to Google and how important it considers your site to be.

Re page titles, categories etc: I guess they are better if they conform with your seo keywords but I don’t think it makes all that much difference, unless someone knows otherwise?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#5 2008-06-25 19:31:53

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

should contain the keywords for that particular page

Yes, if it’s not a list of keywords. List = bad. Lists also look quite odd in the search engine search results.

should not include your blog or company name

Can and should because accessibility (ppl will remember it better) if it contains the unique site name. But it should not be the first, as the first word is the most important.

should be short and concise

Yep, agree.

should not include words like “the”, “by”, “that”

Yes. Looks odd and also leads too common words: not helping.

should be unique for every page

Unique yes, must be. It also should be unique compared to other sites on same target area. In example “Contact” is not so good keyword btw, it’s just common. Unique is unique also in the search results – again ;) But “contact” is bad example – as it usually contains contact details or form :D

Re page titles, categories etc: I guess they are better if they conform with your seo keywords but I don’t think it makes all that much difference, unless someone knows otherwise?

Tags and other list are bad. They worked earlier, but nowdays all sort of tag listing that should make more keywords are actually bad. They are just lists, google understands text. List of random words: nonsense, doesn’t mean anything. Bad.

But you can use Categories in the title if the category title is something “important”. Atleast it makes the title unique – if you want lazy mode :D

Last edited by Gocom (2008-06-25 19:35:00)

#6 2008-06-26 14:35:28

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Hi all :)

Tanks lot for your answers. I need to study it for best utilisation.

Now, it seems it’s a SEO expert secret! Do you know how to obtain this kind of presentation in google (see the links in bold for all related website just under the description) :

Textpattern · A Flexible, Elegant and Easy-To-Use Content …
A flexible, elegant, easy-to-use content management system for all kinds of websites, even weblogs.
textpattern.com/ – Similar pages
Download Featured Sites
Frequently Asked Questions Textplates ’07
Support Forum System Requirements
Gets Ripped Off Donate

More results from textpattern.com »

And, now see it in real life

Thanks again for your great help.

Best regards,

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#7 2008-06-26 15:02:59

maniqui
Website

Hi Patrick,

I quote zero here:

Re: Textpattern · A Flexible, Elegant and Easy-To-Use Content … that’s the meta description (shows how important a meta description is) but the list of sections of the site, afaik, is down to Google and how important it considers your site to be.

That is. I have read that reason (that Google puts those links if it considers your site as a relevant source of information for the searched string)
I’m not sure if there is a way to “trigger” that kind of presentation on google. The first thing is, probably, to be the first result for some specific search.

Again, I haven’t done a proper research of how to trigger this, but I would bet it helps to:
  • have a sitemap (the .xml sitemap that you can feed to Google using Google Webmaster Tools)
  • adding a few <link rel="section-name" href="http://www.site.com/section-name" /> on the head of you site (that’s one of my theory of something that could help/trigger that kind of links)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#8 2008-06-26 15:08:37

ricetxp
Website

On the first point, google does this automatically. There is an explanation in the webmaster tools pages somewhere. Put “supermarketwine.com” into google and you get the same result

#9 2008-06-26 15:16:23

maniqui
Website

BTW, rah_metas is the SEO swiss knife for TXP.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#10 2008-06-26 18:58:58

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

ricetxp wrote:

On the first point, google does this automatically. There is an explanation in the webmaster tools pages somewhere. Put “supermarketwine.com” into google and you get the same result

OK. I’m going to look on the google webmaster tools. Tks, ricetxp.

And for all, thanks again. As always this community is perfect :)

Patrick.

#11 2008-06-27 08:02:00

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Gocom said (1st answer):

Yes, if it’s not a list of keywords. List = bad. Lists also look quite odd in the search engine search results.

Jukka, if I well understand, for keywords YOU don’t agree with the use of a coma separated list of simple words. So what do you put into your meta keywords? A sentence formed by some most important keywords (words) for the individual article? It is a little bit strange for me. And what do you think about the 4000 caracters limit for the words contained into the meta keywords tag? Reality, stupidity?

Best regards,

Last edited by Pat64 (2008-06-27 08:02:42)

Patrick.

#12 2008-06-27 10:07:04

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Jukka, if I well understand, for keywords YOU don’t agree with the use of a coma separated list of simple words. So what do you put into your meta keywords

I was talking about the <title>, not about keywords-meta you know ;)

And what do you think about the 4000 caracters limit for the words contained into the meta keywords tag? Reality, stupidity?

Remember: too much words = stupidity/spam. Only few words, but in other hand keyword-meta is quite useless. Efect: +/-0, but it’s always nice to have keywords if they are good and can be found from the actual content.

Board footer