Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-05-26 09:33:48

ultramega

Best way to upgrade live site

I’m running a site in subfolder using older version and I’d like to make a copy of that to subfolder, and then upgrade it to the latest version. I want to keep current one running, so I can make and test few big changes in to-be-upgraded version, and to be sure all plugins are working good.

Is it best to: 1) make the other subfolder, 2) copy all files there, 3) import all data to new database, 4) make config see this db, and then afterwards 5) manually install upgrading files as told in readme-file in install packet

or

is it best to install clean TXP and import old data to it? One thing is that I’m using MLP and it makes it’s own tables – makes me think if the first way is better.

Are the databases same between versions and the difference is in installation files?

#2 2008-05-26 10:20:10

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Best way to upgrade live site

ultramega wrote:

Are the databases same between versions and the difference is in installation files?

Generally speaking, some of the versions added additional columns to various tables, but Textpattern takes care of those during the upgrade procedure which runs at the first login. This upgrade procedure should work seemlessly from any older 4.0.x version to the current 4.0.6. With MLP, there’s maybe more to obey…

Board footer