Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-04-23 06:17:24

maniqui
Website

zem_redirect weird bug: redirects from clean to messy urls

Hi

I was having the following issue: while trying to access to a section using its clean URL, I was being redirected (or better said, the URL was being rewritten in its messy URL form).
Example

I was accessing to http://www.site.com/services/ but the final URL displayed on browsers bar was http://www.site.com/index.php?s=servicios.

The weird thing was: other sections were working fine!!! I accessed them via their clean URL and that’s what the browser displayed o the nav bar.

So, I started to think there was something with the word servicios, but no, that wasn’t the problem.

Then I disabled all plug-ins, including zem_redirect 1.2, and tried again: no luck.
But then, I went to Presentation -> Sections and re-saved the configuration for the section “servicios”.

And you know what? The clean URL for section “servicios” started to work (that means, it wasn’t being re-written to its messy version).
And you know what else? The other sections that were working at first, stopped working (that means, started to act like “servicios” before it was fixed).

So, this seems to be the steps to reproduce it (though i think it can be reproduced in more than one way):

1. You install and enable zem_redirect
  2. You create a section.
  3. Later, for some reason you change something in your section settings, and re-save it
  4. The bug is triggered. Try accessing the modified section using its clean URL. You should land on the messy version

Then, to fix it:

1. You disable zem_redirect
  2. And re-save your section (not sure about this step, maybe it is “optional”)
  3. Now, it works: you can access to the section using the clean URL and it stays that way on browser nav bar
  4. Also, if you re-activate the plug-in, your clean URL will keep working, at least until
  5. You save it (the section settings) again and the bug is triggered again

BTW: it’s important to know that I weren’t using zem_redirect at all. I mean, I wasn’t using the tag at all in any place. I just have it installed and activated, nothing else.
I don’t know how this plug-in magic works, but I would bet there is something like a… ¿hash? saveed on the database and that’s the one guilty.
Hope someone else could reproduce it and if it is a bug, someone could pick up zem’s plug-in and keep the development going on.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#2 2008-04-23 11:25:28

els

Re: zem_redirect weird bug: redirects from clean to messy urls

I’ll have a look at this when I have the time. I had the same problem with my section ‘tag’ (using tru_tags), and couldn’t think of anything else but disabling zem_redirect. But it might be the same problem.
I’ll let you know my findings.

Board footer