Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-04-08 15:55:50

snthr

navigation and url structure query

hi…

i’m transferring a photography site from wordpress to textpattern, and i have a query about navigation structures as a result. i’ve had a look on here but i haven’t seen this question answered in a way that i could use, yet, so i’m hoping you might be able to help.

the structure i want is this:

site > members > member name > project name

with the url structure as:

site.com/members/member-name/project-name

…and textpattern seems to be limited to a two-level navigation, unfortunately.

i had presumed that i’d have ‘members’ as a section, ‘member name’ as a section (or category? or article?), and ‘project name’ as an article. if that has to change in order to get this to work, please let me know.

i’ve been trying to use gbp_permanent_links, but i think it was designed for something slightly different to what i’m trying to do. additionally, it doesn’t seem to come with any documentation, so for a textpattern semi-novice it’s quite confusing.

if there is a straightforward way to do this, i’d be very glad to hear of it…

thanks.

#2 2008-04-08 16:30:15

els

Re: navigation and url structure query

You should be able to do this with gbp_permanent_links using /section/category/article. So the member names would be categories.
You are right that there is no documentation in the plugin itself, but you can ask for help in the plugin thread. Graeme and other experienced users will certainly help you.

#3 2008-04-09 22:17:58

els

Re: navigation and url structure query

See here for configuring the plugin.

Create a parent category ‘Members’ and each member name as a child category. Then you’ll need something like this on your page:

<txp:if_individual_article>
     <txp:article form="single" />
<txp:else />
     <txp:if_category>
          <txp:article listform="article_listing" />
     <txp:else />
          <txp:category_list parent="members" exclude="members" />
     </txp:if_category>
</txp:if_individual_article>

This will give you a list of member names (= category list) when on the /members/ page, and a list of articles about a member when on a /members/member-name/ page.

Board footer