Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-03-19 04:03:37

nardo

traveling, digital photos, image galleries - how do u do it?

have an opportunity to spend a couple of months on the other side of the world – photos & web posts are always good to put up, for family & friends and for your own archive … I password-protect these personal sites to keep them out of the public index, but that’s another story

smd_gallery and ebl upload look like good plugins for managing galleries and auto resizing images, creating thumbs, etc … maybe some google maps integration would be good … Txp articles can be text, images, image galleries, maybe even video

with inconsistent internet connections would rather resize images locally rather than upload 1-2Mb pics – any ideas for lightweight, quick & easy solutions for that? could always runn xampp and the ebl plugin locally? thinking bout getting an asus eee pc

interested in other approaches – how do u do it?

#2 2008-03-19 06:33:56

aslsw66
Website

Re: traveling, digital photos, image galleries - how do u do it?

What I did last year was post my photos to Flickr – mainly to take advantage of the cheap hosting of lots of photos rather than having to do it myself. Clearly, this may not meet your need to keep photos out of the public eye.

Then, I created an article for each place I visited and used custom fields to record the lattitude and longitude of the place, and the tags I used for the photos.

Next, I implemented the google maps integration you referred to, but with my own improvements. Firstly, the map would be centred to the article coordinates for the current article. I also allowed the map URL to accept sections and categories to filter out the non-travel articles. The article heading and excerpt were used for the Google Map popups. The final part was to wrap all of this up into my own plugin with a set of plugin tags.

And then I display a set of my Flickr thumbnails matching the tags with a link to the full set.

Sorry, you can’t see the result any more as (1) too many photos and too little effort in posting them all up and (2) I redesigned my site and haven’t added all the functionality back in.

Board footer