Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-01-20 05:10:24

jm
Plugin Author
Website

MacHeist II

For any Mac users, check out MacHeist if you haven’t already. $49 for 12 apps. I bought it for the following apps:

• CoverSutra
    • Desktop artwork and last.fm integration – I love it.
  • Cha-Ching
    • Need to start using this – I online bank, but I’m terrible at tracking my cash.
  • Awaken
    • Excellent alarm and timer. Full screen alarms with notes are awesome.
  • Speed Download
    • Maxes out my pathetic connection. Safari: 12KB/s; Speed Download: 120KB/s
  • Snapz Pro X
    • Given there aren’t any free Mac screencast apps, this is worth the whole bundle ($20 savings).
  • AppZapper
    • Good for removing 1password, Pixelmator, WingNuts (why would anyone pay for this?), and all of the free apps from the heists

So go forth and buy!

#2 2008-01-20 12:41:25

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

Re: MacHeist II

Mu330 Chumps on Parade! No shit!

I love them! Used to go to their shows on a regular basis.

#3 2008-01-23 11:18:25

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Haha yeah I just bought it used on Amazon since it’s out of print. Do you listen to The Pickle’_Pickle too?

BTW, 17hrs left on MacHeist – new vector program thrown in. No idea if its any good though.

#4 2008-01-23 17:53:16

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

Do I listen to the Pickle?! HAH!

(of course :)

#5 2008-01-24 01:05:04

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Just checking :P. Have you ever heard of Blindspot? I finally got a used copy of Acceleration 5000. They were signed by the Dill offshoot, Tomato Head – they’re now defunct like most ’90s 3rd wave bands (esp. those from CA), but I like them. They’re on a pretty awesome Tomato Head Records comp; along with Monkey, Flat Planet and Slow Gherkin. It’s even got Janitors against Apartheid on it, and it doesn’t cost $20.

There’s your ska for the day :D

#6 2008-01-24 16:46:05

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

Yeah. I have had the Tomato Head records comp with them on it for years and years.

Listen to it quite often.

And I love Slow Gherkin. They have a relatively new album out, even (run screaming)

#7 2008-01-24 19:35:35

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Me too – Double Happiness is still my favorite Slow Gherkin album though (finally replaced my emusic album with a real cd). They’re yet another band I discovered too late :(. I used to live in CA when I was a kid in the ’90s, and of course, I listened to Garth Brooks and REM back then.

#8 2008-01-26 18:10:48

jakob
Admin
Website

Of the MacHeist Bundle, I would have thought CSSedit would be the big crowd-puller for the webdesigners – I guess you, like me, already had license.

AppZapper – Good for removing 1password, Pixelmator, WingNuts (why would anyone pay for this?), and all of the free apps from the heists

jm, do you not like 1password, then? I find it a real time and headache saver and now rely heavily on it (perhaps too heavily?)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#9 2008-01-26 18:37:54

jm
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve never used a CSS editor before – I’m addicted to TextMate – so I’m not sure if CSSedit will be useful (or if I’ll adjust to it). Trying it out has been on my todo list for this past week though.

I found 1password to be cumbersome, but that’s because I’m so used to manually typing in passwords. I generally use Keychain to create a password (with the “memorable” option). Also, I didn’t see the point in having an app wrap around Keychain. I could be wrong, but that’s what it seemed to do in the few minutes I had it on my system.

Last edited by jm (2008-01-26 18:40:19)

#10 2008-01-26 19:24:20

jakob
Admin
Website

The live edit facility of CSSedit is like firefox’s webdevbar mixed with a bit of firebug/xylescope, only on steroids (works online/webserver as well as with static local files), navigation through long css-files is easier than firefox and you can drag, drop, rearrange, group and comment your css via the nav-bar. If you’re anything like me and want to try out some other CSS approach part way through, the ability to create milestones are a useful way to get back to a previous iteration. With the previous version the screen used to get dangerously full of windows but now you can combine windows into tabs (dragging between windows works similarly to safari 3). Of course, it’s webkit so you still have to go and check with firefox and then tear your hair out teasing IE into cooperation. FWIW: I use textmate too for all manner of things.

1password: yes, it’s like an encryption wrapper around a keychain that replaces the normal keychain. If other people use your machine, or your laptop get’s stolen (which has happened to me), the browser won’t happily auto-fill but prompt for the master password. 1password adds an auto-enter button to the menu bar and login dialogs, which you can click on to auto-fill and complete with the saved password. You really only need to remember your one master password, it enters the appropriate information. The most recent version in the offer allows you to store other stuff too such as credit card infos, online banking logins, software licences, db-passes, WLAN and provider details including other infos such as helpline/support telephone numbers etc. Occasionally you get the odd site where it shows its “save PW” pop-up when all you’re doing is a search but you can click it away. I had a rudimentary password manager when I was still on windows and this knocks its socks off.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer