Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-01-06 08:30:08

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

state of crockery

1. there are numerous threads dealing with feature requests and what devs say may or may not go into crockery. i’m just curious are you tracking all of these somehow?

2. what kind of features do the developers want to see in crockery?

3. i’m aware of the wishlist which i don’t think has changed in forever (which may be a good thing meaning theres a visible solid direction). is there any reason why the wishlist doesn’t seem to be linked from anywhere? i don’t even know how i found it in the first place.

4. can we expect 4.1 to have a semantically coded back end and hopefully new look? i realize actual functionality is priority. but with functionality there needs to be an intuitive interface as well of course.

5. what kind of ideas do you guys have in order to garner new users and/or potentially make at least a bit of $ from this endeavour? i realize there were many failed attempts earlier but that just means the right system hasn’t been found. personally i’d be glad to pay some form of membership/etc etc fee to reap whatever sort of benefits + increased development speed.

as for ways to garner new users, honestly..something simple like a much prettier backend via just textpattern.css alterations so as not to break any current functionality and easier theming mechanism which can be done by pushing and advertising berts hcg_template should be able to go a long way and renew more interest in TXP.

6. i’m just throwing this out there…but what are the chances of seeing a workable TXP 4.1 before 2008 is over? i’ve toyed around with the latest svn and i just can’t make heads or tails as to how far along it actually is.

Last edited by iblastoff (2008-01-06 08:41:07)

#2 2008-01-06 09:23:02

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: state of crockery

I have quite same feelings about crockery (why is it called crockery anyway)…

1. Would like to know as well.
  2. Let the gods speak ;)
  3. The site is quite unupdated in matter of what.
  4. Code have been the main priority till now. I think same goes in the future. I would cause lot of work as I have noticed when doing those facelifts.
  5. Yes, I have same thoughts, this community is very little, indeed. And Textpattern doesn’t have so much of users.
  6. Zero? Only god knows?

Cheers!

#3 2008-01-06 09:26:25

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

1. => most of the important requests are also our own private wish lists. Since they’re in a separate subforum, they’re easy to find when we’ve done the main changes we intend to do.
2. => unlimited categories and a normalized database and properly encoded tag output.
3. => I don’t think the wishlist is up-to-date, so it’s probably good that it’s not linked since we claim not to have a roadmap ;)
4. => yes, you can expect semantically correct code
5. => I personally am not doing this to make money (I have a dayjob that has absolutely nothing to do with TXP or webdesign)
6. => there’s certainly a realistic chance that there will be a release in 2008, but other than that, I can’t be more specific

#4 2008-01-06 13:57:11

guiguibonbon

Yes, I have same thoughts, this community is very little, indeed. And Textpattern doesn’t have so much of users.

It’s nothing compared to wordpress of course, but I think the number of users isn’t actually that small. I have more than once been surprised to meet people (like, in real life) that use textpattern and love it. ‘Oh, you use textpattern too? I thought I was the only one on earth. Isn’t it just the best tool ever?’ is what I mostly hear then. These people manage to survive without being members of the forum (I know : strange).

Devs, do you have any numbers? Just curiosity.

(I have a dayjob that has absolutely nothing to do with TXP or webdesign)

Reminds me about how little we know about you guys (and gal). You see most of the websites we make, but we never really know how you spend the day. Any chance we can know a little more about you ? :)

#5 2008-01-06 14:18:28

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

guiguibonbon: i agree. until welovetxp.com came about, i had NO idea of the professional design agencies/freelancers/whoever were pulling out that many beautiful sites with textpattern. i just assumed the activity of the forums equaled TXP’s outside-world usage. boy was i wrong.

honestly i think txpmag.com should be removed from the front page and welovetxp.com added. i’ve tried contacting the authors of txpmag.com several times in regards to at least writing new articles or taking it over but have gotten 0 response. alexandra chimed in for a brief moment offering a glint of hope but has disappeared once again.

ruud wrote:

1. => most of the important requests are also our own private wish lists. Since they’re in a separate subforum, they’re easy to find when we’ve done the main changes we intend to do.

ahh yes i do remember reading somewhere about a private dev subforum.

2. => unlimited categories and a normalized database and properly encoded tag output.

peeking at crockery, at least on the surface i can still only choose two categories. is there some sort of ‘priority list’ you guys want to etch down first? or is it more of a sprinkle here-and-there approach?

3. => I don’t think the wishlist is up-to-date, so it’s probably good that it’s not linked since we claim not to have a roadmap ;)

alright. is there a chance to have the not-a-roadmap wishlist updated? :)

4. => yes, you can expect semantically correct code

for 4.1 or for later? i do recall reading that 4.1 wouldn’t contain such changes but a later version would..which seems kind of odd as i would assume the first thing to change would be to be rid of the tables and such (not only for better semantics but for easier plugin writing as well)

5. => I personally am not doing this to make money (I have a dayjob that has absolutely nothing to do with TXP or webdesign)

i’ve always wondered what the devs really do as well :) personally i am thankful you guys are doing what you can.

6. => there’s certainly a realistic chance that there will be a release in 2008, but other than that, I can’t be more specific

besides patches (which is something beyond me at this point) is there anything others can do to help? is there anything specific in crockery that non-expert-php-coders can possibly test and give feedback on?

Last edited by iblastoff (2008-01-06 14:31:59)

#6 2008-01-06 15:53:48

guiguibonbon

iblastoff wrote:

guiguibonbon: i agree. until welovetxp.com came about, i had NO idea of the professional design agencies/freelancers/whoever were pulling out that many beautiful sites with textpattern. i just assumed the activity of the forums equaled TXP’s outside-world usage. boy was i wrong.

honestly i think txpmag.com should be removed from the front page and welovetxp.com added. i’ve tried contacting the authors of txpmag.com several times in regards to at least writing new articles or taking it over but have gotten 0 response. alexandra chimed in for a brief moment offering a glint of hope but has disappeared once again.

Waw, is welovetxp new? Totally missed it. Totally awesome.

#7 2008-01-06 16:38:19

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

guiguibonbon wrote:

Waw, is welovetxp new? Totally missed it. Totally awesome.

i think its been up for several months but is definitely relatively new.

i just noticed this on ohloh – Textpattern has seen a substantial decline in development activity

that isn’t some random blogger’s opinion but somehow generated by their system. i think it takes both 4.0.x and crockery repositories into account. i can understand 4.0.x not having as many changes since its considered stable. but i thought the whole point in freezing 4.0.x to only commit bug fixes/small features/little presentational changes was to focus on crockery?

on the frontpage for textpatterns profile on ohlol it states ‘Decreasing year-over-year development activity’. how accurate that is i have no idea but thats probably a little disconcerting for anyone wondering about TXP’s development.

Last edited by iblastoff (2008-01-06 16:46:22)

#8 2008-01-06 17:01:04

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

It also states…

This may be a warning sign that interest in this project is waning, or it may indicate a maturing software base that requires fewer fixes.

amongst other things.

Steve

#9 2008-01-06 17:08:29

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

yeah i noted that in my post. but ohloh seems to also take crockerys repository into account as well

#10 2008-01-06 17:15:43

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Blastoff Steve

Thanks for the link to ohloh — never seen it before. There are some other interesting stats in there such as the estimated project cost.

Steve

#11 2008-01-06 19:01:10

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

ruud wrote:

Dang, a roadmap, where’s that Digg button of mine ;)

By the way, Ohloh is slowing down your site.

#12 2008-01-06 19:09:17

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Lies, damn lies, statistics :)

Board footer