Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-12-31 20:30:28

yatil.de
Archived Plugin Author
Website

egg_anonymize – Anonymize IPs in Textpattern

After a court decision in Germany web masters shouldn’t save personal informations users didn’t opt in.

Especially IP adresses shouldn’t be saved for a long time. This Plugin allows to delete IP information on a per-comment basis and allows to purge IP adresses of comments and logdata at once or at login into textpattern.

You can download the plugin here (includes usage information in English and German) or read the all-German blog post I’ve wrote.

Feature requests are welcome.

Last edited by yatil.de (2007-12-31 20:49:32)

Eric Eggert
Textpattern-Sites: yatil! | Snookerblog | Schachfreunde Ruhbank

#2 2007-12-31 23:01:32

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: egg_anonymize – Anonymize IPs in Textpattern

LOL… yet at the same time, ISPs must store traffic data for a long time to “fight terrrorism”.

Does this court decision also imply you are not allowed to ban visitors based on IPnr?
Do you have a link to an article that has details on this court decision? It should be an interesting read ;)

#3 2007-12-31 23:12:43

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

It’s an excessive pro-privacy law. If I remember it correctly, it also prevents german citizens from just relocating their servers to another country to bypass the law.

#4 2008-01-01 00:12:06

yatil.de
Archived Plugin Author
Website

ruud wrote:

LOL… yet at the same time, ISPs must store traffic data for a long time to “fight terrrorism”.

Yes, that’s German law. (Disclaimer: I’m one of 30,000 supporters of a lawsuit [Verfassungsbeschwerde] against that law.)

Does this court decision also imply you are not allowed to ban visitors based on IPnr?

IP Adresses may, depending on court, be stored until a comment is reviewed. But it isn’t allowed to store the adress permanent. I think that doesn’t include bans because one could argue that it’s necessary to run the service. (IANAL)

Do you have a link to an article that has details on this court decision? It should be an interesting read ;)

There’s actually quite a good read here but unfortunately it’s only in german

Eric Eggert

#5 2008-01-01 14:28:28

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Interesting article. I think I agree with the reasoning behind that decision (having also read some of the other articles that were linked on that page).

To make the logs anonymous, you could also add a callback for the ‘pretext’ event on the public side and simply do $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = '127.0.0.0'; (combined with disabled DNS lookups which are pointless anyway if you’re anonymising). This would prevent the IPnr from being logged at all in the txp_log table without depending on an admin side visit.

#6 2008-01-01 15:28:51

yatil.de
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I considered this, too. But that would anonymize the comments, which may not be what the web master wants to do. I think I’ll include this in the plugins next version.

Eric Eggert

#7 2009-11-04 11:34:14

SuMu
Website

Hi Eric

whats about the next version?

viele Grüße
SuMu

Psychomuell + blogZicke

Board footer