Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-12-29 05:35:49

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

mem_plugin_updater: Plugin Repository Plugin

Plugin Repository Plugin (mem_plugin_updater)

Summary

This plugin consists of an RPC server and client that will allow a site to maintain a list of plugins and allow mem_plugin_updater clients to connect to a server to fetch a list of plugins, check a plugin for updates, or download a plugin file to install locally. The primary audience for this plugin is Textpattern.org, but it can find other uses.

This plugin is compatible with a fresh Textpattern 4.0.5-4.0.6 installation.

Plugin Server

A new table mem_plugin_repo will contain basic plugin details and the associated encoded plugin file. An administrator will upload plugins in a fashion similar to installing a plugin, except these plugins are independent from the txp_plugins table.

Tags will exist to display plugin information and plugin help on the public side of the site.

Plugin Client

A new Admin tab, “Plugin Updater” has been added to allow a client site admin to connect to a plugin server. A list of all currently installed plugins (with versions) will be shown and the server can be checked for updated versions of any of the plugins. The user will also be able to fetch a list of plugins available from the server and then install it.

I might add the ability for RPC servers to mirror plugin the repository from another server to allow easy load distribution and backups.

Status

I have RPC server and client framework in place and database table created.

Last edited by Manfre (2007-12-29 05:47:17)

#2 2007-12-29 17:19:34

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Re: mem_plugin_updater: Plugin Repository Plugin

Manfre, can you clarify exactly how you intend/hope for this plugin to be used? My guess is:

Textpattern.org would use the plugin server to maintain a repository of all the plugins it knows about – sort of an automated plugin library, open to the public. Textpattern users would use the plugin client to browse the ‘library’ at Textpattern.org, and quickly install or upgrade the plugins on their site.

Is that right? If so, I like it :)

#3 2007-12-29 17:57:35

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Um, linky?

#4 2007-12-31 03:38:20

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

@mary, no download link yet. I want most of the features ironed out and working before I release it to the wild. I’ll post to the mailing list when it’s ready for testing.

@nathan, that’s the basic idea of it.

Last edited by Manfre (2007-12-31 03:39:49)

Board footer