Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-12-11 07:37:10

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

symphony 2 beta

http://sneakpeek.symphony21.com/

sneak peek at symphony 2 beta. some cms’s are getting pretty damn slick.

#2 2007-12-11 08:03:58

FireFusion

Re: symphony 2 beta

Very slick.

Everytime I try Symphony though I can never get into it. Lack of plugins (compared to TXP) and an overly complex templating language leave me cold. Plus I’ve had a recent upgrade destroy my site before, granted I wasn’t using it for much but still put me off.

#3 2007-12-11 18:13:42

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

i’ve only used symphony on my local server for playing around with. same with typolight and a few other cms’s i like to explore further.

i agree with the templating language being complex (at least compared to textpattern) and i do believe its mainly aimed at developers. their requirements page reads:

Your Browser

* The Symphony admin requires that you use a modern standards-compliant browser. We recommend Firefox and Safari.

so that probably axes out a typical client still using ie6. ahh well.

#4 2007-12-12 02:48:59

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Lack of plugins (compared to TXP) and an overly complex templating language leave me cold.

If you’ve done any DOM scripting, then working with XSLT should be cake. It all boils down to nodes and their familial relationships :). Once you learn XML, you’ll be able to apply it to catalogs in InDesign (though Adobe’s XML importer sucks) and written documents (my journalism final and immunology labs were written in XML and transformed to XSLT). There’s so much you can do with XSLT, which is why there aren’t as many plugins (Campfire services) as TXP. You really only need to code PHP if you’re creating an event such as a contact form.

Data sources are probably the biggest hurdle in Symphony. The tricky part is understanding URL parameters (/category/entry => $category and $entry parameters), but that was the only challenging part in my experience.

Last edited by jm (2007-12-12 02:57:02)

Board footer