Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-11-05 21:20:10

lee

[feedback] Core developers wanted?

Not ranting, not criticising , not wanting to hurt feelings:

I think the development of TxP is to slow because there are not enough core developers. Mary & Co do an amazing job and I sincerely thank them, but they only have a finite amount of time to give to the cause. None-the-less Txp has essentially remained unchanged for a few years. Yep there have been many code refinements, new tags, security problems fixed, but things like better image management, permissions, work flow and interface have largely remained the same.

I propose that the core team actively invite some of the amazing developers in the forums fully into the fold.

#2 2007-11-05 21:29:31

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: [feedback] Core developers wanted?

I’ve said this before I was a core developer and I’ll say it again: contributing can be done without being a core developer. For a project as small as TXP, having just a few core developers is more than enough.

More people in core means more opinions about which direction to follow for development, which will probably reduce the amount of work actually getting done.

#3 2007-11-05 21:37:37

maniqui
Website

For the future, I would like to suggest a name: Manfre. He has been here since the early days, and he also has developed plug-ins and other stuff for TxP. I think he’s a good candidate the day the core team feels like to be expanded.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2007-11-05 22:22:40

lee

ruud wrote:

I’ve said this before I was a core developer and I’ll say it again: contributing can be done without being a core developer. For a project as small as TXP, having just a few core developers is more than enough.

That’s just it, it’s only small because there are so few core devs. Yes contributing without being a core dev is possible, but from what I’ve seen over the years only small fixes get incorporated, substantial features don’t. Features take time and discussion and need real core involvement.

ruud wrote:

More people in core means more opinions about which direction to follow for development, which will probably reduce the amount of work actually getting done.

More people in core means more gets done in less time, direction is alway a debate which has to be agreed on. As this isn’t a commercial project then direction should be gleaned from the forums and informed discussion within the core dev team.

Board footer