Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-10-04 15:02:26

slim

Linux Convert?

I am about to drop-kick my Vista laptop out the window. It’s frustrating me way too much. So now I’ve been looking into Linux, and I figured this would be a good place to get some good honest input from some savvy computer users.

I’ve heard Linux is fast, secure, sexy, and free. I’ve also heard its a little rough around the edges. I ran the Ubuntu live cd last night and was quite suprised how fast it ran off my cd drive alone, even on my sluggish vista laptop (by sluggish I mean it takes FF 3 or 4 min to start sometimes).

I don’t do much more on my home computer than normal office stuff (excel, word, project if they get me to work overtime), web surfing via FF, and the occasional Flight Gear trip. I could live with a desktop, but a laptop would be nice.

Also, I noticed on the flightgear website that they only have downloads for specific Linux distros. If I have a distro that is not on the list, will it work?

Anyway, any suggestions, warnings, recommendations, potential pitfalls from die-hard Linux users?

Appreciate the input.

#2 2007-10-04 15:25:22

mrdale
Website

Re: Linux Convert?

I know this is potential flame bait, and perhaps you have already decided against for some reason, but what about osx… smooth around the edges, *nixy on the inside…

#3 2007-10-04 15:33:24

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Eric,

My advice is to make the Vista partition really small, then install XP so you can get some work done.

Should you decide to take the plunge into Linux, install Ubuntu into another partition and triple boot into it so you can start getting familiar with it’s usage. I dual boot XP and Debian Etch on my laptop but find myself in XP most of the time. I also have a Debian Lenny desktop sitting right next to the laptop, so I get my share of Linux on a daily basis.

I used to be a bigot when it came to Linux, there was a time when all I ran was Linux at home, drove my family crazy. I’ve since come to the conclusion that all operating systems have their target audience, so XP is the preferred client and Debian is the server of choice in my domain.

PS. When you grow out of Ubuntu, come visit us over at Debian.

#4 2007-10-04 15:46:35

slim

@mrdale

I’ve considered osx. The only real issue I have is the cost. If I could afford a mac right now, I’d be using a mac.

Kids are too expensive.

On another note, why Debian over Ubuntu? What about other distributions?

Last edited by slim (2007-10-04 15:48:06)

#5 2007-10-04 16:44:46

els

Stick with Ubuntu for the time being. It’s easier to get used to than other distros (as I am told, because I started with Ubuntu and feel no need at all to experiment with other distros…)

There are perfect and compatible alternatives for office applications, and for about any application you’d need. I don’t know Flight Gear, but you can always ask on the Ubuntu forums if it will work.
Just check with the live cd if your hardware will work with Ubuntu. Drivers can be a problem, although it’s improving all the time. The next 7.10 release will handle hardware even better. I only need windows for my scanner at the moment.

Just don’t get rid of windows completely yet, if you are not sure. Dual boot until you find that it has been months since you booted windows… then drop it ;)

Last edited by els (2007-10-04 16:45:53)

#6 2007-10-04 16:57:01

maniqui
Website

Els wrote:

Just don’t get rid of windows completely yet, if you are not sure. Dual boot until you find that it has been months since you booted windows… then drop it ;)

If you have near 1GB RAM, you can forget about dual-booting and create a Windows virtual machine using VMWare or QEMU.
It’s the way to easily test in IE6 and IE7 (both on the Windows virtual machine) and many other browser for windows, while develope using Linux tools.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#7 2007-10-04 18:40:02

slim

A couple more questions I’ve come up with…

What kind of web development tools are available for Linux?

How easy is it to transfer files between linux and vista on a home network?

I’m thinking about building a home server of sorts to serve as a storage point for our pictures, and that way I can get a good handle on how Linux works w/o fully committing. I can also use it for basic apps like I mentioned above.

Board footer