Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-07-29 20:25:21

jadehouse

Analogy: textpattern to drupal?

Hi all,

I’ve gotten really, really comfortable with textpattern syntax now (it really is a beautiful “designers CMS”, I must say) — and I’ve decided to dig in a little deeper and try to get into Drupal.

Now, I’m not a PHP developer (I know the basics of it and SQL, but not anything more), but I do know a designer can use Drupal through the addons, etc.

So I wanted to ask the ones of you who know TXP and Drupal well, can you please make an analogy that I can use to get started with it? For instance, what are “forms” (includes) in Drupal? What are pages? Etc. It really doesn’t seem to be as clear at all in Drupal as TXP is. I’m a little lost. (I tinkered with it a little, but the pages I added seemed to be changing the admin panel too… so at that point I figured I’d better ask for guidance while I mess with it).

If my questions/needs aren’t clear, please let me know and I’ll reword them.

Thanks again for the great support. TXP > all.

#2 2007-07-29 23:53:23

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Analogy: textpattern to drupal?

#3 2007-07-30 05:41:06

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

Why you’ve choosen drupal, not txp?

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#4 2007-07-30 05:53:49

jadehouse

the_ghost wrote:

Why you’ve choosen drupal, not txp?

Well, in short, Drupal comes ready for communities (public user accounts) — and the add-ons for them are endless. My developer and I considered TXP for a large community site/portal, but it just didn’t have what we wanted in the end, and would have taken more modification than Drupal to add.

There are people at this forum 500x as smart as me that could explain this better… so maybe one will (and correct me if I said something misleading).

#5 2007-07-30 15:12:11

mrdale
Website

Hi jadehouse, I have some experience with both.

Pages

TXP is a micro-content CMS, which means that it let’s you create/edit the items that comprise pages rather than pages as a whole. As such, you edit content (articles, images, files, links) then set up rules for their display on your pages through xml style content tags. Each “section” has a page selector which uses page templates you create in the “page” tab.

The article tag is exceptionally versatile and powerful, and has some special capabilities.

You can use conditional tags to present different compositions of content depending on different circumstances.

Forms

These are really just includes that you access with the “output form” tag. An “article” form is a form that you use to present content of articles.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by mrdale (2007-07-30 15:17:01)

#6 2007-07-30 17:04:54

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

mrdale i think he wanted to know the drupal equivalent of those..

for ex. ‘pages’ in TXP are well..‘pages’ in drupal? or ‘nodes’ if you must.

forms in TXP would be something like ‘blocks’ in drupal.

etc etc. im sure the drupal forms could be a bit more thorough.

#7 2007-11-10 19:18:45

aviwollman

try drupal’s
http://drupal.org/project/textile

Board footer