1. Index
  2. » Plugin support
  3. » an7_mov

#1 2007-07-04 05:53:18

iaian7
Plugin Author
Website

an7_mov

an7_mov handles both Quicktime and Flash Video media, and supports Mediabox integration for displaying said content in a lightbox window.

The latest Quicktime Media specifications require the use of JS and inline code to embed a QT file (more can be found on the Apple website). There are two options for a webmaster: either write a separate JS file for every QT media element you’ll use on your site, or use a master JS file and send the parameters via an inline script. Using the later method, the an7_mov plugin allows Textpattern to easily interface with the new requirements. Most of the settings (autoplay, loop, controller, etc.) can be setup in the plugin code as defaults, making repeated use of the tag as simple as possible.

Similar options are availible in the an7_video tag, allowing you to embed and play Flash Video files (.flv).

an7_movbox and an7_videobox are similar to above, but insert the content using Mediabox; a lightbox style script for quicktime, flash, and more.

visit the site for more information and examples.

Currently in beta, however, I’m using it on multiple sites and it seems to be holding up well. It should graduate soon enough. Mediabox is also in beta, and is also being used on multiple sites.

Last edited by iaian7 (2007-07-22 09:42:27)

VFX artist, photographer, designer, CG generalist, and hobbyist web developer
My TXP sites: blog | reels | portfolios

#2 2007-07-04 08:02:58

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: an7_mov

hi John
Looks great… thanks…
I also have sent you an email re your vid work…

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2007-07-04 08:26:40

FireFusion

Great stuff. Thank you

#4 2007-07-04 10:08:26

feragnoli

hello, may I ask what’s the difference between this plugin and the wlk_qt plugin?

Last edited by feragnoli (2007-07-04 10:08:44)

what was that again…?

#5 2007-07-04 17:56:12

iaian7
Plugin Author
Website

WLK is more robust in its options; it can be used with custom fields (for attaching movies to articles in the article form), textpattern file id numbers, poster frames (auto playing once clicked), and QTVR content.

the AN7 plugin is simpler, only embeds with javascript (as per the latest specifications), and uses the official Apple code.

UDPATES:

AN7 now handles Flash Video using the JW media player collection (either mediaplayer or flvplayer).

AN7 can also use Mediabox to display quicktime and flash content in a lightbox style plugin!

Last edited by iaian7 (2007-07-08 10:15:43)

#6 2007-08-31 22:52:33

mascara

Hi,

if I only use the an7_videobox, ie, I only use this to play .flv content, do I still need to install the apple mov stuff?

Thanks,
-marco

#7 2007-09-01 01:28:38

mascara

Hey, I figured it out, to play .flv, we don’t need apple qt script^^ Can I then ask a basic question? Now the default directory is /media, so if I specify dir=“temp” it will actually go to /media/temp. How can I define the default directory for this tag?

Thanks a lot for your time and again for your wonderful videobox and this plugin,
marco

#8 2007-09-01 06:59:02

iaian7
Plugin Author
Website

You’ll want to edit the plugin code itself. I set a default folder of media/ because it can make things quite a bit faster… though obviously only if you use the media/ folder!

Would it be better if the base folder were changeable globally or individually? I’ve been using the dir=”“ attribute along with a “base” folder to make it easier to go through several levels of folders (such as sites with media sorted by year/month/ ). Since the “base” folder is the default media location, I thought it should be separate from the dir=”“, since constantly retyping the media base would be a pain if you just have to access a subfolder. Would a base=”“ attribute be helpful? I know it seems redundant to dir=”“, but that way you can change the base=”“ default in the plugin a bit easier.

Let me know your thoughts, having to edit the plugin isn’t exactly the best solution… :P
Hopefully I can work on updating some of my plugins in the near future, and want to make this sort of thing a lot easier!

#9 2007-11-04 12:12:02

jameslomax
Website

iaian7 wrote:

WLK is more robust in its options; it can be used with custom fields (for attaching movies to articles in the article form), textpattern file id numbers, poster frames (auto playing once clicked), and QTVR content. The AN7 plugin is simpler, only embeds with javascript (as per the latest specifications), and uses the official Apple code.

Does that mean WLK is in some ways easier, because you don’t have to mess with javascript?
I don’t fully understand all of this, so I’m trying to evaluate it intuitively to decide which one is best for me. I want a plug in that lets me insert qt movies in articles, as simply and efficiently as possible.

#10 2007-11-05 01:06:08

iaian7
Plugin Author
Website

According to Apple, using their javascript is the “correct” way to embed QT media content. AN7_mov makes using said javascript far easier, but having not used the WLK plugin, I can’t say if it’s easier in comparison or not. Most of my plugins require a little setup at first (adding the javascript link in the header, or editing the default media folders in the plugin code, for example), but should be quite easy to use thereafter. For example, a quicktime movie can be added with as little as <txp:an7_mov mov=“file.mov” />, or as much as <txp:an7_mov dir=“2007/11/05/” mov=“file.mov” width=“640” height=“360” /> depending on how you set up the plugin defaults. Controls for autoplay, kiosk mode, looping, volume, and more, are also available. AN7_mov also supports Mediabox, and the JW series of media players for flash video files.

It may be best to try both plugins out… and visit the an7_mov home page for more info.

#11 2008-07-08 09:11:37

aba
Plugin Author

$output = '<div class="$class">'.$script.'</div>';

should probably be

$output = '<div class="'.$class.'">'.$script.'</div>';

otherwise $class will be used verbatim (like your example page shows).

line 45 and another one in 148

Last edited by aba (2008-07-08 09:33:05)

#12 2009-03-19 12:23:08

rathersplendid
Plugin Author
Website

Hi John, or anyone else that can help,

I would love to get this plugin to work with your MediaBox Advanced but I am unsure as to what exactly to do.

Let me explain my situation:

I’m working on a site that has an article list page with people’s names and a link to watch a film by them. This link, once clicked, should play their film in a mediabox window. I have been able to get as far as linking to their film, but it comes in a new page with just the quicktime file on it so I think I am half the way there.

My head code for the external js and css files is:

<script src="<txp:site_url />styles/mediaboxAdvBlack.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></script>
<script src="<txp:site_url />js/AC_QuickTime.js" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="<txp:site_url />js/mootools-1.2.1-core-yc.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="<txp:site_url />js/mediaboxAdv99b.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="<txp:site_url />js/swfobject.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" ></script>

and the plugin code I am using on my form is:

<txp:an7_movbox mov='<txp:custom_field name="Last Name" />.mov' width="400" height="388" />

**(I am using their last name, from a Custom Field as the name of the video file)

What else is there to do? All external files are linked to properly so it must be an issue with my implementation.

I also have a question regarding the player used; I would probably rather the native Quicktime player and so is it easier better to just use that? Or does it need a swf player to operate?

You also mention that in the plugin help that “most preferences have to be set inside the javascript since the simplistic lightbox link format doesn’t pass any variables beyond the basic width and height” – what do you mean by this, what other preferences might there be and how, specifically, might I change them in the ? Can the height and width be set dynamically by the dimensions of the video because I have videos with different dimensions.

Could you provide me, and also for the benefit of others with a similar problem, some code examples.

Sorry for the long post, but I think I’m nearly there, but need a little nudge in the right direction to make it work fully.

Many thanks in advance

Admin Themes Prometheus | Stung | <txp:coder/
My Portfolio | ɹǝpuɐz.com | @MrMartineau
<txp:coder /> – Convert your designs into Textpattern-based websites
jQuery Style | @jquerystyle

1. Index
  2. » Plugin support
  3. » an7_mov

Board footer