Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2007-08-16 21:13:46

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Introducing "xPattern" Workgroup

this is the first time i’ve come across this thread. is xpattern still actively being pursued? mrdales initial post made a lot of sense to me and its ideas are something i wholeheartedly embrace.

#50 2007-08-17 01:20:10

mrdale
Website

So. xPattern is stuck at the conceptual stage. We have good concepts, specs, etc.

Unfortunately the core people just got crazy-busy with client projects. And putting textpattern up on blocks and reworking stuff that is way, way core just got less important than building sites. ‘Course I’m just speaking for myself, the xPattern spec and cheerleader guy.

I’ve started looking into expression engine, which, for whatever faults it has, can do a lot of this custom content type stuff out of the box.

If you have programming skills and time that you could contribute to the task, I’d talk to Patrick Woods (the prolific mr. Hackjoon).
-Dale

#51 2007-08-17 03:07:00

hakjoon
Website

xPattern is still something I’m planning on working on. It’s been a little slow because of work load. I’ve been debating if it’s worth doing for 4.0 or if I should try to pursue it for 4.1 and see if some of the core changes maybe can make it into that version and then we can pursue the rest through elements.

I know this all just sounds like empty promises and I really wish I had more to offer right now.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#52 2007-08-17 03:33:14

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

mrdale wrote:

I’ve started looking into expression engine…

Yes, a Jedi’s strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side of the Force, are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you, it will… as it did Obi-Wan’s apprentice.

Yoda

#53 2007-08-18 01:34:29

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

hakjoon wrote:

xPattern is still something I’m planning on working on. It’s been a little slow because of work load. I’ve been debating if it’s worth doing for 4.0 or if I should try to pursue it for 4.1 and see if some of the core changes maybe can make it into that version and then we can pursue the rest through elements.
I know this all just sounds like empty promises and I really wish I had more to offer right now.

no worries as i dont expect any magical solutions to come out of the woodwork for nothing.

i wish i knew where 4.1/crockery development was at though. i mean i took a peak at the svn and development area and even downloaded the latest revision just to test where everything was at. all i got were errors galore which is understandable for it being experimental.

textpattern is the first cms i’ve ever dabbled with and have gotten to know comfortably. unfortunately as a non-php coder, i’m unable to modify and bend txp to my needs as others here can, so i basically rely purely on other peoples plugins for things txp does not do out of the box. i just hope the time i’ve invested learning textpattern over other cms’s will be worth it in the long run!

in the meantime i’ve also toyed around with expression engine as well. the custom field control is to die for but unfortunately for 250$ per domain its not worth it for the amount of sites i turn around :( if anyone knows of a cms thats open-source and similar to expression engine by all means suggest away.

#54 2007-12-06 07:24:04

milkshake
Website

So is that how the story ends? <sob>

I like the idea of seeing Txp as a code library, or even a framework. In that way, you do get a lot for free (literally :)

Txp is certainly pragmatic — you can find a relatively quick solution to many problems with it. But it almost always feels like a hack. Which might not matter to you if you’re a pragmatist, but as bloke described so well, that becomes less than ideal for end users.

None of the CMS I’ve tried have an elegant solution to this abstraction/modularity problem.
That includes Wordpress and the structured blogging etc. plugins, Drupal and CCK/Views, Expression Engine, Symphony etc. etc.
Maybe the problem lies with pre-designed CMS themselves.

I guess those requiring more flexibility will jump ship to one of the frameworks sooner or later.
Perhaps that’s the way Txp should go? Bannister did sound promising ;)

For sure, EE is not the answer.

#55 2007-12-06 08:28:51

davidm

You forgot MODx ;)
I had been a textpattern user for two years, and happily switched for it : custom field more powerful than EE, flexibility and logic like txp (I have switched a website took me 1.5 hours :D)

.: Retired :.

#56 2007-12-06 10:44:20

redbot
Plugin Author

Have you read this ?
It’s not xpattern but looks very promising

#57 2007-12-06 16:00:49

hakjoon
Website

Net-Carver and Gerhard’s plugins go a long way towards addressing some of the main issues. This isn’t dead yet, just hibernating until the workload slows down.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#58 2007-12-06 16:20:50

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

milkshake wrote:

I guess those requiring more flexibility will jump ship to one of the frameworks sooner or later.

Rather than requiring one app to do it all, I think you should have various tools at your disposal. TxP can handle the majority of sites one would put up, then you can use something else for those demanding projects. I’ve been playing with Joomla! 1.5 lately, I really like what I see and it may become my high end tool for those customers that want but may not necessarily need.

Trying to make TxP what it is not would turn it into something like what EE is today, a far cry from the pMachine days. Remember pMachine, that small cool tool that made sites pop as if you had coded them in HTML?

#59 2007-12-06 16:34:15

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

hakjoon

Net-Carver and Gerhard’s plugins go a long way towards addressing some of the main issues.

Definitely. Better yet, they’re apparently going to be integrated in the future!

I’m kind of curious about the EE-hate in a few recent posts. I’ve been considering giving that system a closer look recently. What are the weaknesses that have put some people off it? You can’t really ask such questions on the EE boards — the True Believers will try to convince you that their CMS walks on water and heals the sick. ;-)

davidm wrote:

You forgot MODx ;)

MODx is still in a state of flux. In my opinion, it’s only suitable for personal projects at this point. Looks to have a very promising future, however.

#60 2007-12-06 17:07:36

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Logoleptic wrote:

I’m kind of curious about the EE-hate in a few recent posts.

Where my dislike of EE stems from: http://expressionengine.com/forums/viewthread/36351/

On the technical front, EE requires quite a lot of horsepower, all those bells and whistles can be deafening ;)

Board footer