Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-05-18 23:27:21

mrdale
Website

Introducing "xPattern" Workgroup

Some time back I proposed an idea that would allow TxP to gracefully handle almost any conceivable content-type, while maintaining full backward compatibility. This idea produced only a tepid reception from the devs, so I shelved it.

So why not just go with a different CMS?
At it’s heart TxP is conceptually, very straightforward and I personally, haven’t found anything that is as elegantly simple for editors as it is powerful for developers. What can I say, I’m a sucker for forms… but you guys all have your own favorite features, I’m sure. :)

A few weeks back I discovered that Hakjoon and ma_smith were talking through similar ideas for expanded content capabilities in TxP and we all got excited about the possibilities.

We decided to come up with a way to make this, and further improvements to Textpattern a reality. We’ve discussed the idea with some of the most talented and experienced TxP plugin developers, and together we’ve put together a working group around 16 strong, to build something remarkable using a platform that we already love.

Introducing xPattern
The idea is quite simple, but really powerful:

1. Allow users to build their own content-types (eg. “person”, “place”, “event”) which have their own combination of fields, (text, images, files, etc..).
  2. Provide a simple and intuitive way for site-editors to select and edit this content (through a content-type selector on the write page).
  3. Route all content-types through a “content” tag that behaves almost exactly the same as the “article” and “article_custom” tags, using a “type” attribute.
  4. Provide semantic form-tags for display, eg. <txp:phone_number/> or <txp:city_of_birth/>
  5. Free up categories to be content independent, allowing a single category (or category hierarchy) to apply to all content types.
  6. Allow content to have unlimited categories just like rss_unlimited_categories does.
  7. Allow content types to be nested by “association” or “inclusion” (eg, “person” could be a multi-select in “group” or “person” could be the basis of “artist”, “doctor”, “chef” etc.)
  8. Provide a content-type builder” extension tab to build, edit and administer custom content-types.

We’ve worked up a description a preliminary spec and some example use-cases and weare chomping at the bit to get moving.

So how are we going to go about this?

These advanced capabilities are not feasible with a plugin alone—we’ll need to make edits to the core. After careful consideration, we’ve decided to make changes against the “crockery” branch, and publish regular builds to this thread as we make progress. There’s also a work group here where all are welcome to contribute. Contact either myself, ma_smith or hakjoon if you’d like to join in.

Our plan is to regularly submit patches for consideration back to “crockery” as the TxP core devs have suggested.

We look forward to your input, ideas and expertise. Let’s build something brilliant.

Last edited by mrdale (2007-05-18 23:46:28)

#2 2007-05-18 23:44:40

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Introducing "xPattern" Workgroup

The ‘work group’ link is not working.

#3 2007-05-18 23:47:31

mrdale
Website

thanks ruud, fixed. You want a workgroup account?

#4 2007-05-19 00:33:59

zem
Developer Emeritus

Dale: I’d recommend keeping in touch with the dev team. We might be able to save you some work.

Alex

#5 2007-05-19 00:41:03

mrdale
Website

Zem: Excellent! I just assumed you guys had too much going on to participate, but I’m delighted that you’re interested.

I’ll send you a workgroup account if you like.

#6 2007-05-19 06:01:03

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi dale, Sounds interesting! I’d like to read more but your articles don’t work… All i get is the excerpts in article_list.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#7 2007-05-19 08:42:09

jakob
Admin
Website

Sounds very interesting and something I repeatedly come up against. I have the same problem as colak.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#8 2007-05-19 11:13:37

Jeremie
Website

Sounds really interesting. Far into the future, but really interesting.

#9 2007-05-19 12:17:01

squaredeye
Website

Dale,
In the art world, when someone says: “That’s interesting” it means its a piece of dung. Hopefully we aren’t being placated :))))
I’m glad to see its an idea worth having!

M

#10 2007-05-19 13:52:00

Jeremie
Website

It was only 1st degree from me :)

#11 2007-05-19 14:52:32

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

WoW I like it : very amazing idea!!! WoW!

But why we can’t read the hole articles when we clic on “read more…” ?

Just one example : description

In other hand (not the subject of this topic), I discovered yesterday this amazing tool : TYPOlight
It’s seems to be a fork of Typo3 but very flexible.

Let’s see this presentation sceenshot

Last edited by Pat64 (2007-05-19 14:57:37)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#12 2007-05-19 15:25:00

mrdale
Website

Articles up.

@colak, pat64, jeremie, jakob
Articles up …sorry folks bit of a rush last night. Had to finish up early.

@jeremie
We have plenty of talented people on board already. So we’ll just have to see how long it takes. I think we are pretty motivated to make it happen fairly rapidly.

@matthew: “interesting” is good, better than echo, echo, echo :)

Board footer