Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-05-18 21:41:38

zero
Website

[feedback] I Love Textpattern!

I’ve hinted once or twice that I like Textpattern but now there’s a feedback forum, I’d like to state my love of txp more emphatically.

Just over three years ago I didn’t know what blogging was but once I did I realised I’d like to do some blogging myself. I was told that there were three main contenders: Textpattern, Wordpress and Movable Type. I thought MT was going to be the one because it had extensive documentation – however after reading it I found it complicated and heavy going. It was rather similar with WP. Then I found TXP and there was hardly any documentation at all but installation instructions were very simple, it was lightweight and it seemed simple. I like simple!

Forms, page templates, sections, categories and txp tags were all strange to me but after reading Pedro’s tag manual it started to come clear. A little forum searching, a couple of questions and hey presto, I was up and running!

My main requirement is that it works and my visitors can read my sites and navigate easily. I don’t feel the need for cool, sexy, add-ons like tag clouds, live search or image galleries but whenever I have wanted something not included in the txp download I’ve found a solution through a plugin or someone’s help on the forum. Textpattern ‘straight out of the box’ continues to cater for almost all of my needs. Tastes come and go, and so does my use of plugins but the only plugin I’ve needed consistently is Zem’s contact form. There’s a lot can be done with the basic TXP installation.

I’m a web designer without clients at the moment. I’ve had a few ‘nearly’ projects and TXP would have been ideal for them with its CMS capabilities. All they have to do is write, select the section and press the Publish button. I love how different layouts for different articles can be tailored exactly to the author’s needs. Then they can concentrate on their job and write to their heart’s content.

When I started blogging, I am so glad nobody told me about Blogger and other blog publishers! What a trap I would have found myself in! Yes, you can just write, but the layouts are so limited and so is the audience and comments with having to register and all that. Textpattern brings publishing freedom whether it’s for a small blog or a company content management system.

Textpattern is much more than software. It is also a thriving community with some of the smartest, most patient and humorous people around. It doesn’t have leaders and meetings and trial offers and costly upgrades and advertising and affiliate marketing and all the other things you see with commercial software. And the best thing is that it is so much better for it! It grows at the pace of the people involved in it. Users and developers can put in as much as they like and self-regulation produces a very stable product that I personally can find no fault with. I don’t get any content spam because of its preview mechanism; I don’t get any strange errors because it has been thoroughly tested for bugs; html and css markup is standards-compliant; and if I want something special I just have to go to the plugins forum. Somebody’s probably already done it and if not there are plenty of geniuses willing to give it a go.

So there must be a catch, uh? Well, perhaps it doesn’t do EXACTLY what you want (but what does?). Perhaps it is strange if you are coming from a different blogging system. Perhaps because it is free, there must be something wrong with it. Perhaps with such a busy forum, there must be something wrong with it. Perhaps, maybe, what if, but… yes, I’m sure you can find something wrong with it. But if you can appreciate a good thing when you see it, you will find there’s a heck of a lot right with Textpattern!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#2 2007-05-18 22:00:34

els

Re: [feedback] I Love Textpattern!

Hear! Hear! :)))

#3 2007-05-19 00:27:36

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

zero wrote:

But if you can appreciate a good thing when you see it, you will find there’s a heck of a lot right with Textpattern!

Understatement of the day :-).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#4 2007-05-19 07:21:34

jstubbs
Website

I love Textpattern too! Its the same with my Mac! Simple, clean, easy to use, something new to learn every day…sigh…!

#5 2007-05-19 16:09:52

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I wouldn’t use anything else! My hat’s off to all the devs and patch-submitters. :)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#6 2007-05-19 16:47:14

maniqui
Website

This remembers me this expired thread: I think the TXP Community rocks because… :)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#7 2007-05-19 22:46:32

amyclaire
Website

This is a good post. I will finish the rest of the beer I am working on in honor of my own love of this great CMS :)

#8 2007-05-19 22:50:28

squaredeye
Website

Uhh, my wife was logged in on her computer. That’s funny. I mean I, Matthew will finish MY beer in honor of TXP. My wife may have different feelings about TXP considering all the nights I was up learning it and loving it instead of coming to bed :)))) silly me.

M

#9 2007-05-20 07:24:40

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Caveat: Textpattern love causes a “Split Personality/Gender Change/Loss Of Facial Hair” syndrom ;-)

#10 2007-05-20 07:46:23

root

Is that a bug or a feature? ;)

#11 2007-05-20 07:56:50

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

It’s nice to hear from Amy. She definitely looks better than you Matthew. :)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#12 2007-05-21 04:57:33

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

root wrote:

Is that a bug or a feature? ;)

Depends on the person. :-)

Board footer