Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-05-06 10:45:13

Destry
Website

../includes/txp_prefs.php

EDIT 2: Problem Solved!

(EDIT: subject title should be ../include/txp_prefs.php)

I want to use sed_comment_pack. The instructions say to change the pref to not show comments as a numbered list. This preference is nowhere to be found in my admin side, even though I know I’ve seen that before.

Then I found this seemingly relevant FAQ: Comment Preferences are Missing. It says you need to fix line 89 of the txp_prefs.php file and points to the repo here

Well, I am using the “latest stable version” as far as I know, from Diagnostics…

Textpattern version: 4.0.4 (r1956)
Last Update: 2006-10-17 20:47:38/2006-10-17 20:45:32

but my txp_prefs.php file looks nothing like that one referenced in the FAQ, and not just line 89, but from top to bottom. Here’s lines 80 through 100 of my file as an example…

pCell('archive_dateformat',$archive_dateformat,'dateformats'),
		pCell('permlink_mode',$permlink_mode,'permlinkmodes'),
		pCell('send_lastmod',$send_lastmod,'radio'),
		pCell('ping_weblogsdotcom',$ping_weblogsdotcom,'radio'),
		pCell('logging',$logging,'logging'),
		pCell('use_textile',$use_textile,'text'),
		pCell('tempdir',$tempdir,'input',20),
		@pCell('file_base_path',$file_base_path,'input',20),
		@pCell('file_max_upload_size',$file_max_upload_size,'input',10);

echo tr(tdcs(hed(gTxt('comments'),1),3)),
			pCell('use_comments',$use_comments,'radio');

if ($use_comments) {

echo
			pCell('comments_moderate',$comments_moderate,'radio'),
			pCell('comments_on_default',$comments_on_default,'radio'),
			pCell('comments_default_invite',$comments_default_invite,'input',15),
			pCell('comments_dateformat',$comments_dateformat,'dateformats'),

Why is there such a radical difference between what the FAQ says the file should be and what my file actually is? Should I completely change my txp_prefs.php file with the one indicated in the FAQ?

(Edit: fixed typo in the post’s subject. -Els)

Last edited by Destry (2007-05-06 22:52:26)

#2 2007-05-06 12:50:39

Destry
Website

Re: ../includes/txp_prefs.php

Rereading the FAQ, and looking at the URL of the refered repo file, I realize the txp_prefs.php in question is the one for the new (yet to be released) stable version, which is likely the reason for the radical differences in file.

So I tried adding the line 89, as suggested in the FAQ, but that seems to do nothing that I can see, and I’m now wondering if that FAQ is even relevant to my problem. Going back, I’m trying to implement sed_comment_pack. The instructions say…

Make sure that your site admin preferences are setup to turn off ordered lists.

1. Admin > Preferences > Comments: ‘Present comments as a numbered list?’ Set to no.

First problem for me is that the instruction path above is missing either “Basic” or “Advanced”; i.e., Admin > Preferences > Basic/Advanced > Comments.... That’s relevant because I don’t see the option one place or the other and thus don’t truly know which tab I’m supposed to be looking for it to appear should I happen to fix this bug (believe it or not I don’t have the admin side stored away in photographic memory). I’m guessing it’s supposed to be the “Advanced” tab and thus under the “Comments” section of that tab.

Here’s what I see there currently…

admin side clip

So, I guess my inquiry now is if the FAQ is relevant in this case (since it didn’t seem to work for me)? Am I looking in the wrong place? Is it a viper about to bite me?

Bring on 4.0.5! :)

Last edited by Destry (2007-05-06 12:54:33)

#3 2007-05-06 18:38:32

Destry
Website

Destry wrote:

Rereading the FAQ, and looking at the URL of the refered repo file, I realize the txp_prefs.php in question is the one for the new (yet to be released) stable version, which is likely the reason for the radical differences in file.

Hi Destry, nice to see you again. You seem to have a real bizarre situation because if you look at the txp_prefs.php file for 4.0.4 in the repo, here, you’ll notice that it’s not radically different from the 4.0 branch indicated in the FAQ you mention earlier. Why you have a working txp_prefs.php file that contains completely different content as you seem to indicate, is..well…like I said, bizarre. Are you sure you’re looking at the right file?

#4 2007-05-06 18:58:55

Destry
Website

Yep, dude, pretty sure, let me see… * Opens TextMate, browses to …/textpattern/include/txp_prefs.php, opens file, has another look at contents * … yep, I’m sure.

One theory: Txp install is one from early 2004, and which has been repeatedly upgraded ever since. Maybe that history results in a slightly different code base than if I just install a new version. I don’t know. I don’t see why that would happen since most of those upgrades were via svn, but…

I guess I can try a fresh install and reload my db. Sigh … what a pain.

#5 2007-05-06 21:38:01

NeilA
Website

This is not my area of expertise, Destry, but what version of the txp_prefs.php do your diagnostics show?

On a standard install of 4.0.4, my diagnostics says:
/include/txp_prefs.php: r1946 (05615b6275d8927a2a0d51918d70a896)

Which gives me this basic prefs page:

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#6 2007-05-06 22:32:02

Destry
Website

Hi Neil, thanks for dropping in. Good idea about checking “High” detail diagnostics. Says…

/include/txp_prefs.php: r1946 (05615b6275d8927a2a0d51918d70a896)

So I guess the file id is right. File contents are clearly wrong though, and I never even looked in that file before…very strange. Could it be that my system has been hacked? I don’t see any problems on my site, but…

Also, thanks for clearing up the Basic/Advanced preferences tab mystery…that does seem to be a problem too, because I don’t have any comments settings showing at all in that tab, only the Publish section.

I’m going to try and change the entire contents of that file with the 4.0.4 distro and see what explodes.

Last edited by Destry (2007-05-06 22:32:19)

#7 2007-05-06 22:51:28

Destry
Website

OK, frickin’ weird, I opened up that file again and this time it was what it was supposed to be, though still with no comment prefs in admin side

So being that I was looking at familiar ground, I replaced line 89 as Mary’s FAQ suggested with the new one and presto… all my comments preferences came back in the Basic tab. :)

It did result in a diagnostics error though, but I’m not loosing sleep over it…

Some Textpattern files have been modified: /include/txp_prefs.php, /lib/IXRClass.php, /css.php

So, I guess I’ll call this problem solved and this thread finito.

Last edited by Destry (2007-05-06 22:51:42)

Board footer