#1 2007-02-21 22:20:55

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

wet_quicklink: Quick internal link builder

wet_quicklink inserts a link to an existing article the easy way:

• Buzzword compliant, as it is kind of AJAXy
  • State of the art, as it was built with jQuery
  • Web 2.0-style beta release, as it was only slightly tested with the latest breed of all browsers (FF2, IE7, O9.1, no test on Macs as I don’t own one)

Documentation and download.

#2 2007-02-22 00:08:08

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Re: wet_quicklink: Quick internal link builder

@robert, seems to work well on Safari (Version 2.0.4 (419.3)
(Don’t know on version 1.3 though)

Tested on TXD Live install.
( May be you want to mention in your installation instraction that the filename needs to be
jquery.js )

I was using an older plugin, that inserts links automatically ( hpw_autolinks I think it was called)
but I had to disable that one, since it caused problems.

Great innovative work.

Do you think, that it would be difficult to implement a feature, so it would be able, to fetch links also from another TLD.
( That would be interisting for crosslinking stuff. Just a Thought)

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-02-22 13:03:10)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#3 2007-02-22 00:33:59

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Very nice Robert, can we do the same for images ;)

#4 2007-02-22 05:20:55

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

marios wrote:

Do you think, that it would be difficult to implement a feature, so it would be able, to fetch links also from another TLD.

Technically speaking, it would be possible, as article information is fetched via wet_peex (which would then have to be installed on the remote end), and thus is available as a HTTP response.

For privacy and security reasons, I’ve deliberately built wet_peex to work only for a user logged in from the backend, so cross-linking sites is restricted on purpose. Anyhow, one could think of a mode for wet_peex which would run in the public space – it would then only deliver articles with a “live” or “sticky” status and would have to obey other restrictions, e.g. with respect to nonpublic sections and password protected areas.

I encourage anbody who’s interestd in such a feature to add her/his thoughts on this matter.

#5 2007-02-22 06:00:20

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

hcgtv wrote:

Very nice Robert, can we do the same for images ;)

Hmm, I don’t think so, as upm_img_popper is fine for me. The sections screen would be my next itch to scratch…

#6 2007-02-22 07:03:04

marios
Archived Plugin Author

wet wrote:

marios wrote:

Technically speaking, it would be possible, as article information is fetched via wet_peex (which would then have to be installed on the remote end), and thus is available as a HTTP response.

For privacy and security reasons, I’ve deliberately built wet_peex to work only for a user logged in from the backend, so cross-linking sites is restricted on purpose. Anyhow, one could think of a mode for wet_peex which would run in the public space – it would then only deliver articles with a “live” or “sticky” status and would have to obey other restrictions, e.g. with respect to nonpublic sections and password protected areas.

@wet, interesting.

I had first thought, that a way to do that, could be to use the feeds of the domain/s could be used, thus going around the permission thing and mixed up with the backends txp article table entries, much like it is done in bit_rss and cached somewhere.
That would probably slow down the Site.
However, just an (unexpertized) thought.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-02-22 13:01:42)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#7 2007-02-22 07:09:59

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

marios wrote:

I had first thought, that a way to do that, could be to use the feeds of the domain/s could be used

This was my very first thought before I even started to add my own XML data source. But feeds are typically limited to the N most recents posts, and therefore too slim for this purpose.

(BTW: Thanks for donating, makes me a happy coder!)

#8 2007-02-22 08:57:03

candyman

Followed carefully all the instructions, renamed fron jQuery.js to jquery.js and jqery.js as suggested by marios: it doesn’t work. May be that I’m using the Italian language the problem?

#9 2007-02-22 09:11:03

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

First: The proper file name is jquery.js (with a ‘u’). And I don’t think his plugin depends on the site’s language.

Try this:

1. open http://www.yoursite.com/textpattern/index.php with your browser. You should see the common article entry screen.

2. open http://www.yoursite.com/textpattern/js/jquery.js with your browser. Tell me what you see! It should approximately look like this:

/*
 * jQuery 1.1.1 - New Wave Javascript
 * Copyright (c) 2007 John Resig (jquery.com)
 * Dual licensed under the MIT (MIT-LICENSE.txt)
 * and GPL (GPL-LICENSE.txt) licenses.
 * $Date: 2007-01-21 22:27:54 -0700 (Sun, 21 Jan 2007) $
 * $Rev: 1153 $
 */
[...illegible glibberish follows...]

3. open http://www.yoursite.com/textpattern/?wet_peex=section This should be either rendered as a tag structure…

<textpattern>
<message>not implemented</message>
</textpattern>

…or offered as a downloadable file, depending on the browser you are using. Again, tell me what happens!

(To state the obvious: Replace http://www.yoursite.com/textpattern/ from above addresses with the actual path to your Textpattern backend)

#10 2007-02-22 09:46:34

sthmtc
Website

thanks wet, very nice plugin! also for the record: it seems to work fine in safari on os x.

#11 2007-02-22 10:20:47

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Sorry for the silly Typo (my fault).

However, just to complete up, that it works very well also with the compressed version of the jquery library.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-02-22 10:21:15)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#12 2007-02-22 12:04:17

lee

This is brilliant, thank you very much.

Board footer