Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-02-01 23:58:58

masa

[request] Image upload from Write tab

As a follow up to this thread I’d like to hear back from anyone willing to take the challenge. I’m ready to ransom such a plugin and I’m sure others will, too.

It should offer a simple interface to upload and insert a picture in one step from within the write tab, offering options such as size, alignment and a pop-up link to a full-size image. Blogger’s interface does that very nicely.

Anyone?

Cheers Martin

#2 2007-02-02 00:27:42

masa

Re: [request] Image upload from Write tab

Of course, if Matthew wanted to join into this thread with feature suggestions, I’d be most delighted as I highly value his opinion!

M.

#3 2007-02-06 14:30:32

renobird
Website

I second Masa’s post.
Anyone out there willing to help?

Tom

#4 2007-02-06 16:01:53

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I think that if when this ever makes it into a plugin it should work in combination with Mary’s upm_img_popper
I believe that Mary’s plugin is installed in most txp applications (surprised that it did not make it to the core yet) and it would be prudent not to have plugins which repeat functionalities.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2007-02-06 16:21:41

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

I agree with Colak, Mary’s upm_img_popper can be enhanced to give us the ability to upload an image and it would be good enough for most users.

The ability to link to a thumbnail and popup an image is already possible with the plugin, just have to make sure you create a thumbnail.

#6 2007-02-08 20:17:38

masa

hcgtv wrote:

I agree with Colak, Mary’s upm_img_popper can be enhanced to give us the ability to upload an image and it would be good enough for most users.

I agree and also with colak’s reply, there’s no need to replicate what’s already available in a well-designed plugin.

If I understood you correctly this would require to add an upload funtion to upm_imgpopper’s window. This way we would basically be opening an enhanced Images tab in its own window. However, having had a thought, I would prefer a slightly simpler approach.

The Images tab displays a full listing of all available pics, so after uploading a new one one would need to scroll around to find it first. From a usability point of view this isn’t ideal.

I’d rather see a minimal popup window with an area for the thumbnail to be displayed, an upload button, size-, alignment- and category selections and whether you’d want the image to be a popup link to the full-size version. If I were to upload a single image from the Write tab I wouldn’t want having to deal with all the images currently available.
I’ve posted a crude screenshot

Does that make sense?

Last edited by masa (2007-02-08 20:21:17)

#7 2007-02-08 21:00:14

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

masa wrote:

I’ve posted a crude screenshot
Does that make sense?

Yes, it does, nice mockup by the way.

#8 2007-02-08 21:56:24

hakjoon
Website

The only problem I have with this is that it is completely specialized. So if you are in img_popper and realize you have to upload an image you would have to leave img_popper and go into a different interface, which might not offer the same functionality to insert the image as img_popper, or whatever image insertion tool you use.

You basically end up with 2 image insertion tools.

Last edited by hakjoon (2007-02-08 21:56:59)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#9 2007-02-10 11:36:27

squaredeye
Website

using upm_img_popper… agree. Lets keep it simple.

changes to upm_img_popper that I believe would be helpful:

• Allow for customization of the options shown for output. ie: its not necessary for most of my clients (or my wife) to have more than one or two options for posting an image into the article, it will either go into the body as a tag or the article image field as an id. In addition, these could be layed out differently, displayed differently, etc. This could be set up like ied_hide_admin (a checklist of viewable possibilities dependent on level of user)
  • Offer upload/categorization etc (all things available from image tab) ?limited to one at a time?
  • not be a popup? Perhaps insert it into the page using JS and let it be expandable/collapseable? This way, you’re relying on the user’s screen size and don’t need to worry about the popup sizing issue some users have with this plugin.
  • Option for specifying alignment using class, but not dependent on users knowing class names, instead specified by icons (rt, lft, cntr, other (specify))
  • Better readability (new interface) with better list styling or zebra striping (this could alleviate issues I presented in my first point)

That’s what I’m thinkin about at the moment

#10 2007-02-10 17:22:56

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

What if the upm_img_popper provides the upload? ie At the moment the plugin returns that all familiar to us pop up when we click insert image. What if we still get that but within it we get the upload image function. Once an image is uploaded, the edit image interface should come up and on save we could be returning back to the insert image…

Just an idea…

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#11 2007-02-10 22:47:39

squaredeye
Website

Colak, nice thought, keeps things simpler, seems like a good idea to me…
Upon upload it would need to return to the image list (for insertion) rather than the image list for editing. (refreshed with current images (like the one just loaded) for instance). I guess that’s just an issue of adding using JS to change the action on the form submission (“save” in the images tab?)

What I don’t like about popups is that it feels disconnected from the workflow of the article the user is working on. A modal window would be more appropriate, if you don’t include it in the page itself. Does anyone else have an opinion about this?

#12 2007-02-11 00:30:05

hakjoon
Website

But this puts us back to Masa’s comment which I think is a valid one.

The Images tab displays a full listing of all available pics, so after uploading a new one one would need to scroll around to find it first. From a usability point of view this isn’t ideal.

This discussion always seems to come back to “and it needs to work with upm_img_popper but you have to change x, y, and z in upm_img_popper to make it better for a, b or c”.

We either figure out what it needs to do and come up with something from that or we wedge it into upm_img_popper. Personally I rather have something that takes the best of upm_img_popper and improves on it, then wedging a bunch of stuff into upm_img_popper.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

Board footer