Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-01-30 00:16:00

sthmtc
Website

[request] Integrating Bird Feeder (Mint pepper) into Textpattern

Shaun Inman just released Mint v2 and the upgrade also brought an interesting plugin to my attention:

Bird Feeder – Your RSS and Atom feeds attract all kinds of colorful wildlife, Bird Feeder is a window onto that activity. It highlights subscription trends across multiple Feeds and clicks on individual Seeds. What’s a seed? That’s bird-ese for an article or link within a feed. Poo-tee-weet?

In other words, it tracks the subscribers of your feed and lets you see some nice statistics on how people are using your rss feed etc.

I wanted to install it but I didn’t came far even though the instructions are pretty clear the process of adding content to my rss feed seemed not so easy. But as in 4.0.4 there seems to be an easy way for developers to customize xml feeds.

There already is such a plugin for WordPress on its way and I’d love to see someone doing the same thing for Textpattern.

#2 2007-01-31 16:17:57

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [request] Integrating Bird Feeder (Mint pepper) into Textpattern

This is what I did to get it working, which involves modifying atom.php and rss.php. As you already know this have been posted to the Mint forum.

It looks like you might be able to use the call back features in textpattern 4.0.4 to do this as well, but i’m not entirely sure just yet. Modifying the $permalink value is straightforward, but we need to load some code from Mint inorder to do so, and i’m not sure if doing an include each time a callback takes place is ideal, or if it will even work. (I don’t know PHP that well.)

I also noticed that there is no call back for when the the feeds are for your links as opposed to your articles.

Last edited by ramanan (2007-01-31 16:21:01)

#3 2007-02-01 21:43:36

raveoli
Website

Hey Ramanan

Thanks for posting over at the Mint forum. Without yout post I’d probably been in the mood of killing Shaun Inman. I think it’s a bit lame of him to release Mint v.2 – ask a premium $19 upgrade, brand the simplicity of the wonderful Bird Feeder / Feed Birder – and then make me upgrade, only to find out I have to do something I otherwise always swear I’d never do: Hack my TXP install. I also use Loudblog for my podcast. So I guess I also have to hack that.

… and then, when I upgrade either Loudblog or Textpattern, my ADHD will make me forget all about the hacks I’ve made to the code in order to make Inman’s inventions work.

Seriously…

#4 2007-10-31 15:33:58

philipj
Website

I’m not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but upgrading to 4.0.5 has killed the above hack for me. Now when I load the RSS or Atom feed there is nothing present. I noticed a few minor changes to the atom.php and rss.php files, but I couldn’t see why it stopped working.

Any ideas?

Are you Biocurious?

#5 2008-11-24 02:47:05

hidalgo
Website

Still no news on a plugin for this? It would be great if I didn’t need to hack TXP after each release.

Board footer