Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-01-16 22:01:49

uselessness
Website

[request] Nested Comments

I’ll gladly pay $30.00 to anyone who can make a plugin for nested comment threads.

REQUIREMENTS:
Tag to insert a “reply to this comment” type link in the Txp comment form.
Clicking that link jumps down to the commenting section already on the page.
Basically, something that works the same as the comments do on Engadget .
Uses standardized classes that I can style in my own external CSS (no inline styles, I’ll handle indenting replies myself).
An interface to manage comment threads within the Txp admin area.
Works with the latest version of Textpattern.
Stable.
Intuitive.

30 bucks, man. 30 bucks. And a legion of fans, I guarantee it. I’m not the only one who wants this stuff.

#2 2007-10-18 19:45:57

Chalito
Plugin Author

Re: [request] Nested Comments

I’m working on something that you might find useful.

So far I’ve coded a plugin that creates a table in the db with relationships between comments (ie: comment_id -> parent_comment_id), so that you can define comments as replies to other comments. So far it creates the table, and if you put data into it, it prints the comments in order (replies directly beneath the parent, etc) just like in engadget. And it defines a div surrounding each comment, with a class you can define, and prepends indented_” to the classname you define to those comments that are childs of a root comment (root comment = comment to the article).
No admin interface planned for now, but might look into it if I have the time.

I still have to code the integration with the comment entry form so you can reply to posts. There’s a <txp:cha_reply_lbl> to put the ‘reply to this’ link, but I still have to code its behavior. I guess some simple javascript is in order to set the right values in the comment entry form below.

Will keep posting as progress is made.

cheers

p.d.: on the bright side, you’ll save 30 bucks :)

#3 2007-10-18 21:35:02

uselessness
Website

Hey Chalito,

I had forgotten all about this thread, but I guess I wisely subscribed to it back in January when I posted it. I just got a friendly e-mail that you had responded. :-) At this point, the site I was requesting the plugin for is irrelevant.

However… your timing is rather good, as I just shut down my personal blog and will be “rebooting” after a little break. New content, new design, and nested comments would be tremendous. If you could, please post here when you’re done developing your plugin — I’d love to see it! And thanks for your work.

I should take this opportunity to officially say that the $30 offer is now closed, simply because I forgot that I offered it so long ago, and I’d hate for someone to call me on it now that money’s tighter and I’m watching every penny. I’m assuming based on your comment, Chalito, that you expected that? I’d hate to disappoint.

Take care,
-uselessness

#4 2007-10-19 01:52:02

Chalito
Plugin Author

Sure, I don’t expect to be paid at all, I’m doing this to pass the exam and to give a hand :)

Besides, I can’t give any kind of guarantee so I wouldn’t feel comfortable receiving anything in return.

I’ll post something else once it’s at least somewhat usable.

In the meantime, good luck with your blog ;)

#5 2007-11-12 22:36:31

Chalito
Plugin Author

Well, a somewhat workable version is done. Anyone mind trying it out? it creates a new table and works on it, so no risk of losing data.. in theory. Don’t call me if your rig explodes ;)

here you go

have fun and let me know of any problems you find, I’ll try to fix them.

Cheers,

Chalito

edit: fixed the plugin as instructed, hope it’s ok now

Last edited by Chalito (2007-11-13 02:13:45)

#6 2007-11-13 01:51:03

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

You should (and have to) rename your plugin. Now it’s named as CommentReply_Plugin, when it should be xxx_xxxxxxxxx. So, rename it to be something, like cha_comment_reply.

Also rename your functions, they cannot be like createRelTable, because Textpattern and another plugins could use same named functions – and then they break down. You can not just steal functions, and use them as your own, you have to respect others :) So all functions should be unique, starting with your own prefix.

Back to the basics, good work with the plugin – but I haven’t tested it yet, so I don’t even know if it works. Rename functions and I will give it a try (but I don’t actually even need this one) :)

Cheers!

Last edited by Gocom (2007-11-13 01:52:08)

#7 2007-11-13 01:57:18

Chalito
Plugin Author

Oops, I thought I had renamed all functions already, must have missed one. Sorry about that. Didn’t know It also applied to the plugin name.. I’ll get that fixed. Thanks.

Also I’ve been told I should start a thread in the Plugin Author forum, and point the ‘forum thread’ link in the resources site there.. but I can’t create topics in that forum.

#8 2007-11-13 02:15:06

Chalito
Plugin Author

Corrected, edited the post with the link to point to the new, hopefully correct version :)

#9 2007-11-13 02:39:20

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Also I’ve been told I should start a thread in the Plugin Author forum, and point the ‘forum thread’ link in the resources site there.. but I can’t create topics in that forum.

Correct, you can’t. You have to be granted as Plugin Author. Ask for Mary, or create topic to the plugins forum, where Mary or somebody else could move it to the correct one.

You should also make a plugin-article to the Textpattern Recources

Cheers!

Last edited by Gocom (2007-11-13 02:39:53)

#10 2007-11-13 02:42:07

Chalito
Plugin Author

Already did the article. I’ll start a topic now and see where that goes.

Thanks again!

#11 2007-11-13 02:54:14

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Remember that the topic’s titile in here, and articles title in textpattern.org should be the plugins name, cha_comment_reply :) Faq-topics are for reading ;)

Cheers!

Last edited by Gocom (2007-11-13 02:55:00)

#12 2007-11-13 03:12:17

Chalito
Plugin Author

geez, man there’s too many of them ;)

fixed the article title, and posted a new topic in the plugins forum.

thank god you guys are really patient =P

Board footer