Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-01-15 03:25:11

squaredeye
Website

Secure blogging (invite only) alternative to listserv

Anyone know of any service that offers the following:

• easy user interface
  • secure pages with access granted to those who are “signed up” for the author’s posts.
  • RSS and email on post support

The group I work for is in favor of going with something like http://intellicontact.com, but I am in favor of convincing them to avoid HTML emails and to post to the web exclusively, with email and RSS support for text emails (For instance). The issue is that they require security, because of the sensitivity of some of the work they do or will write about. In addition, they feel that strictly text emails with attached photos is too “little”, and their current list provider does not allow any attachments.

Any ideas?

Matthew

#2 2007-01-15 06:44:04

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Secure blogging (invite only) alternative to listserv

A Forum:
Each author is assigned a forum, he or she posts their story to a forum topic. Users sign on to read the posts and comment on them.

A Wiki:
Each author is assigned a namespace, he or she posts their story to a page. Users sign on to read the pages, depending on the Wiki they can carry on a discussion.

There’s more than one way to blog ;)

#3 2007-01-15 13:09:38

squaredeye
Website

Bert,
Is it possible to handle who has access to which namespace or forum topic via a subscription, which an admin would have oversight of? My experience with both these forms of content managemernt pale in comparison with someone like yourself :)

Matthew

#4 2007-01-15 16:08:35

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

ma_smith wrote:

Is it possible to handle who has access to which namespace or forum topic via a subscription, which an admin would have oversight of?

Thinking more about this, a Wiki would be ideal for your needs. Let’s take DokuWiki, of which I’m familiar with, it has really good Access Control capabilities. As you can see from the screenshot, it’s all done via the Admin section and it’s easy to understand.

#5 2007-01-19 15:03:31

squaredeye
Website

Bert,
thanks again for these, we’re looking into the possibilities.

#6 2007-01-19 16:14:18

hakjoon
Website

What about something like Basecamp?

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#7 2007-01-22 15:51:05

squaredeye
Website

Bert,
Does the Wiki system have any subscription tracking capabilities? ie: could you have a main(admin) wiki with acess to each sub-wikis subscriber list?

#8 2007-01-22 16:11:32

hakjoon
Website

One thing about wikis to keep in mind is that they tend to be designed to be open by default. Restrictions can be put in place but it depends on the product so definitely put them through their paces before committing to one of them.

You could probably also do this using MODX’s permissions system.

Why web users and web groups?
Blog tutorial which covers creating a web group and user registration

#9 2007-01-22 16:29:57

squaredeye
Website

Patrick,
Interesting point. The thing I’ve been wrestling with on this end is that The group I work for really would prefer not to enter into a type of system that requires management from a webmaster vs. a service.

I’ll follow up on the modx stuff for my own purposes though.

Thanks.

Matthew

#10 2007-01-22 19:00:41

hakjoon
Website

Maybe some of the hosted wiki services might work if you choose the service route.

PBWiki
JotSpot hmmm I guess Google bought JotSpot.

If you don’t want a lot of maintenance work stay as far away from MediaWiki as you can.

#11 2007-01-22 19:55:07

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

ma_smith wrote:

Does the Wiki system have any subscription tracking capabilities? ie: could you have a main(admin) wiki with acess to each sub-wikis subscriber list?

Well in the case of DokuWiki, this would be access to the ACL maintenance screen. So yes, I would say an admin can see who has privileges to what pages in the wiki hierarchy.

The best way to answer if a Wiki will work would be to install it and play around, in an afternoon you’d know if it will be a fit or not. Also, with plugins, you can make any system do what you like.

#12 2008-01-07 14:43:38

wcmedows

I have been exploring the issues you are myself. I wish to have a totally secure blogging space which I can share or publish in a manner that is totally secure while also having intuitive navigation and rich means of organizing my content.

to this end I am exploring (though I have not yet chosen) “The Brain” as a tool. I have yet to acertain the security of the solution, but since it is able to be shared in a corporate envirionment and yet, can remain discrete on a local system, it serves the offline/online dilemma first, and then by being able to share “thoughts” one at a time, you can essentially have a secure blog in effect. However, I have again not completely explored this, so I can’t tell you that it is totally secure, or that it is really that easy.

I just requested an extended evaluation to study this in greater depth and I will post here again if I discover it as a viable tool. Feel free to comment if anyone else has experience with this tool and its strengths/flaws.

BR,

WC

Board footer