Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-12-18 22:16:27

Andrew
Plugin Author

[plugin] [ORPHAN] ajw_technorati (include tags/keywords in feeds)

Sick of hacking Textpattern source to find a reliable way of ensuring Technorati and other indexing services see your article tags? Hack no more!

ajw_technorati extends Textpattern’s default feed functionality by adding an article’s tags (keywords) as categories to your site’s RSS/Atom.

(Included with this plugin is the template tag ajw_technorati_tags)

Download latest version: ajw_technorati (v0.1)

Read the Documentation

Last edited by Andrew (2007-01-03 03:47:48)

#2 2007-01-01 15:59:19

odilon

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] ajw_technorati (include tags/keywords in feeds)

I’m having trouble getting the tags to register with Technorati. Is there any way to test the new output of the RSS with this plugin installed?

Also, will this work with tru_tags? At present all that Technorati is picking up are the categories that an articles has been assigned to. As you know that is limited to two.

#3 2007-01-01 18:14:49

Andrew
Plugin Author

Yes, it should work with tru_tags, since they both rely on the keywords field.

To test if it’s working, if you’re using a browser like Firefox, you can load the feed in your browser and then view source. Alternatively, you can try using a feedreader that will also show categories to see if they’re output correctly. You should see the keywords you have added to each article in category tags like this:

Atom:

</content>
<category term="foo" />
<category term="bar" />
<category term="etc" />
</entry>

RSS:

<category>foo</category>
<category>bar</category>
<category>etc</category>
</item>

Last edited by Andrew (2007-01-01 18:16:38)

#4 2007-01-04 16:17:02

DigitalRealm
Website

When using the ajw_technorati_tags portion of this plugin, does that tag need to be added to each article in order for the Technorati specific keywords to function properly?

#5 2007-01-04 19:37:13

Andrew
Plugin Author

Well, that part of this plugin has never been a reliable way of publishing “tags” (keywords) for an article to services like Technorati, for that very reason. That is the main reason I re-released this plugin as something that extends your RSS/Atom feeds to provide keywords/tags as categories. This is something that all indexing services (not just Technorati) can see/use, which is cool.

I should probably just retire the ajw_technorati_tags part of this plugin rename this whole plugin to something like ajw_feed_keywords or something.

#6 2007-01-04 19:50:43

DigitalRealm
Website

Thanks for the clarification Andrew. I am pretty new to Technorati and I am still trying to figure out a few things about it. Your plugin works great to add the keywords to my feed though, so, I appreciate the work you did on it!

Board footer