Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-08-15 09:40:38

Destry
Website

General Admin-side questions

As I’m writing up some docs in TxB, I might come across a few questions about the admin panels (how things work, or intended to work, etc.) and will post them here for lack of a better place.

Here’s the first one.

1. I’ve never seen an admin side from any perspective other than admin, so if a person is in the Users panel and has anything less than Publisher status, do they see the Authors and Add New Authors sections? (I’m guessing they don’t, but just want to make sure.).

EDIT: Hmmm. The appearance of the privileges options in the Authors section for added users would suggest both of those sections are not visible. Correct?

Last edited by Destry (2006-08-15 09:54:27)

#2 2006-08-15 11:16:45

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: General Admin-side questions

Correct, non-publishers can only change their password there, so they don’t see any of the other authors nor can they add new ones.

#3 2006-08-15 11:33:33

Destry
Website

Thanks for the confirm.

#4 2006-08-16 15:45:33

Destry
Website

#5 2006-08-16 16:38:43

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

No contradiction. They can change the password, it’s just the email confirmation that isn’t sent.

#6 2006-08-16 17:02:11

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

You needed the info for this page in the TextBook wiki, right?

When you are logged in as a user who is not a publisher, you don’t see the red ‘save’ button.
So if you want to change your own password, you can only do that by entering the new password and clicking ‘submit’ (which you list as the recommened 2nd method). The red ‘save’ button is only for use with the ‘add new author’ form on that page.
The ‘mail it to me’ option is checked by default.

Unlike what I wrote above, the list of authors on the users tab is shown to all authors with permission level 1, 2 or 3 (publisher, managing editor, copy editor). That part of the page requires ‘admin.list’ permissions. However, only when you are a publisher, you can actually change anything in the list of authors. The managing editor and copy editor only see a read-only list of authors.

The bottom part of the page, where you can add a new author and reset passwords for other users, requires ‘admin.edit’ permissions, which by default only the publisher has.

The screenshot in the wiki doesn’t show the password reset option that the publisher has. This option is below the red ‘save’ button, so I expect it didn’t fit on the screen when the screenshot was made.

PS. Strange that the tab is called ‘users’ while it lists ‘authors’?

Last edited by ruud (2006-08-16 17:07:20)

#7 2006-08-16 17:09:35

Destry
Website

Thanks for that, ruud, I’ll have to tailer that page up. (I’m guessing you need a wiki account?) ;)

#8 2006-08-18 13:38:44

Destry
Website

OK, I went ahead and created some bogus user accounts on a test site (should have done that to begin with) to verify how things work and look. The Users Subtab page in TextBook should now reflect correctly.

I think the access to the Admin tabs via the “Go” menu (instead of the Tabs themselves) for roles below Managing Editor is a bit odd, in fact downright unintuitive.

Two additional edits to the Users panel I would propose are:

1. Change the region 3 heading from “Authors” to something like Existing User Accounts, since not every account holder may have the actual ability to author an article (Designer and None roles).
  2. Change the region 4 heading to title-style, i.e., Add New Author (it reflects in TextBook, but not actually in Textpattern).

Last edited by Destry (2006-08-18 13:58:26)

#9 2006-08-18 17:48:59

Destry
Website

OK, here’s one I’m having trouble documenting as I’m a little foggy on the relationship between 304, last-modified headers and Txp’s Production Status. The average user isn’t going to grasp this very well as things stand with the documentation (nor with Txp’s internal help). I’m trying to make that better in TextBook.

Sencer’s notes helped a bit, but the lightbulb hasn’t completely lit up for me yet when I actually try and explain it in writing. Anyone want to take a stab at a simple explanation between the relationship of those two controls? A few notes I can maybe run with?

See the relevant widget discussions here and here for my weak attempt so far. (Yeah, there’s a lot of Sencer’s notes there.) ;)

Admins can move this thread to TextBook if seen fit.

Last edited by Destry (2006-08-18 17:50:20)

#10 2006-08-18 19:06:37

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

http://www.edginet.org/techie/website/http.html#MOD

I’d recommend just Googling and placing a couple relevant links – since this isn’t Textpattern-specific, but a commonly used technique.

#11 2006-08-20 22:03:10

Destry
Website

Mary wrote:

I’d recommend just Googling and placing a couple relevant links – since this isn’t Textpattern-specific, but a commonly used technique.

That’s helpful, but I was thinking also a little comparison matrix (table) with an X and Y axis where, Last-Modified options of Yes/No is “X” and the site mode (Debugging, Testing, Live) is “Y” and there’s a short detail in the corresponding cells about what happens exactly under the different Txp configurations. To me, that’s where it becomes Txp-specific.

#12 2006-08-22 00:16:14

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

They aren’t related at all.

• Production mode decides how you want any encountered errors to be displayed on your site. On a live site, you don’t want errors displayed – that could give away potentially sensitive information to the outside world.
  • 304 Last Modified works as the link I mentioned describes.
  • As Sencer said (emphasis mine): 304 Last Modified “is almost always disabled in testing and debugging mode, simply because when you are hunting errors it would only be irritating. The benefit is marginal, since production sites don’t run in that mode anyway. Hence only 304/Lastmod headers in live-mode.”

Does that make sense?

Board footer