Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-07-23 16:27:27

Ace of Dubs

Re: Site structure with crossing information blocks

The conditional tags would work better inside 1 form to rule the crossing info block.

Code would look something like this

bc..

<txp:if_article_category name=“Cat1”>
<txp:title /><txp:body />
</txp:if_article_category>

<txp:if_article_category name=“Cat2”>
<txp:title /><txp:excerpt />

<txp:if_article_category name=“Cat3”>
<txp:title /><txp:custom_field name=“excerpt2” />

I actually made a bit of a mistake on this one… Edited for accuracy

Last edited by Ace of Dubs (2006-07-23 21:14:21)

#14 2006-07-23 19:59:15

fogfish
Website

Sweet motherlode!

#15 2006-07-23 22:00:03

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Terrific. Many thanks again.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#16 2006-08-03 10:56:45

marios
Archived Plugin Author

It all works very nicely.With a couple of extra custom fields and some plugins to generate
per category navigational blocks from a parent category, I pretty much achieved what I wanted.
I’ll leave some documentation around once the site is build.
Individual output per this special custom field is achieved with one category per article.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#17 2006-08-03 12:03:06

jakob
Admin
Website

Bit late here but 2 more cents from me:
For a past project I’ve repurposed the keyword field for teaser text before as such text is usually very short and then used body and excerpt as usual. The body and excerpts could appear in their relevant section as usual and for the frontpage I set it up to use those articles with status=“sticky” using the keyword-field-teaser-text.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#18 2006-08-03 13:15:52

marios
Archived Plugin Author

The contents of the extra-fields are forced to appear in another section in listform named “services” with chh_article.
Their individual display gets done by using their category urls and also to output some other stuff, like rates, which do not appear on this list.(it is also possible to omit the field output on these individual category pages)
The excepts are normally on the frontpage, but limited.
Each of those special articles has assigned category one, that holds the individual service/category name. and a parent category services.
I then use azp_menugen to have the services/category links dynamically be generated based on conditionals on those service pages.
Article body output as usual in the info section.
I also use a special sticky article, that is not assigned to any category to dynamically pull in some more blurbs and rotate them on the frontpage with the help of ied_doarticle and using the artlcle body to pull the content from another field.
This all looks a little complicated and absolutely desturbs textpattern semantics,
but it’s a very simple concept, easy maintainable and very extensible.

More ideal would be to have the category url be appended to the /services/ section, but I didn’t wan’t to mess with sgb URL handler.

Details follow

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2006-08-03 13:30:19)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#19 2006-08-03 18:55:15

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Still working on this, some testing in the meanwhile.The database stays clean.
Querytime is at 0.0852 for the frontpage, for what I have so far including the plugins

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#20 2006-10-25 21:47:39

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

excuse me for gettingt into this topic so late:

1. would ace of dubs’ hack also allow to add as many new custom fiels as wanted? i am trying to realize a small cd shop here and need about 20 of them for all kinds of entries.
how would this work then? in 404 even?
2. also mentioend here was steve’s multi-language plugin. where could i find a thread about this or steve himself? i am working on a multi-language textpattern site myself and might have some useful information regarding browser language analysis, storage of user lang prefs etc.

thanx very much in advance!

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

#21 2006-10-26 06:55:29

jakob
Admin
Website

jayrope,

1) in short no, it makes a custom field look a bit like an excerpt field. But there are several different threads and articles on getting more than 10 custom fields or more out of your 10 fields.
2) This is Steve’s gbp_I10n multilingual plugin thread. Steve and Graham have come up with an interesting idea.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#22 2006-10-28 02:07:07

marios
Archived Plugin Author

jayrope wrote:

excuse me for gettingt into this topic so late:

1. would ace of dubs’ hack also allow to add as many new custom fiels as wanted? i am trying to realize a small cd shop here and need about 20 of them for all kinds of entries.
how would this work then? in 404 even?
2. also mentioend here was steve’s multi-language plugin. where could i find a thread about this or steve himself? i am working on a multi-language textpattern site myself and might have some useful information regarding browser language analysis, storage of user lang prefs etc.

thanx very much in advance!

He is currently moving house, I haven’t heard of him myself, but he has posted here once, and sayd it will take him some time to get a line and an ISP, which would take some time.

The last thing, that I know, is that this is still under development. I am going to do some work with this too,
and testing and stuff, so stay tuned, may be on this thread (I don’t know right now where the others are),

I’ll get back here, for everything I know, so we can exchange our experiences. I’ ve been working on some other stuff and lost control myself what’s going on.

However, regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#23 2006-10-28 11:23:11

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

thanx much jacob and marios, i have now total of 25 more custom fields (for a multilingual shop situation..) – i’ll post the results in a separate thread – most helpful in any case was this article of gerhard lazu

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

#24 2006-10-29 20:41:07

merz1
Website

For people needing another very flexible excerpt solution I would recommend rss_auto_excerpt.

It also produces an excerpt if there is already one! And it can strip HTML tags and much more.

Last edited by merz1 (2006-10-29 20:41:32)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

Board footer