Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-07-10 12:07:35

Ace of Dubs

[request] Custom Fields on Steroids

Right up there with conditional tags and txp forms, I consider custom fields to be among the most powerful features in Textpattern. They have become a vital part of my workflow and the number of issues that have come up with my clients have given me a few ideas how to make them even more powerful…

Issue #1
I use custom fields to call up forms, images, headers, etc. so in some cases it is crucial that the client not mis-spell their entry. Why not provide an option to show the field entry as a drop-down menu instead? We could then have a universally accessible list of options which you or the client could easily edit under custom field’s preferences that would be foolproof. We could even create an “Edit” link to these prefs right next to the custom dropdown in the write tab. Like so:

Issue #2
I dont care what anyone says. 10 custom fields are not enough! It is also counter-intuitive to have them displayed where they are not needed. Why not give users the option to add/delete the number of fields and also assign them to sections or categories?

The following animated sketch shows how I would like to see both issues handled. The pop-up window would be accesible from both the custom field prefs and in the write tab, so you can edit your choices on the fly.

Under the write tab, only the global custom fields will be visible until you select a category or section with assigned fields, which will refresh the page and show the relevant data.

I have no idea how difficult this would be to accomplish, or if it’s in the realm of a plugin or hack.
It would be a killer addition to TxP though and you could probably get a handome ransom for it … any takers?

Last edited by Ace of Dubs (2006-07-10 12:19:18)

#2 2006-07-10 12:17:10

hakjoon
Website

Re: [request] Custom Fields on Steroids

Ace,

This came up here before as well. The “custom” custom fields can be done with a plugin I think. Unlimited fields would require a hack.

I’m hoping to code this but I’m probably not going to have time for a little while (moving) and I still need to figure out how to store the data. It is on my to do list, not that this should stop anyone else from jumping on it.

You screenshots are very, very helpful.

A couple thoughts since I originally was just thinking of this in terms of custom fields per section, what happens if the definition for a section conflicts with the definition for a category?

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#3 2006-07-10 12:28:03

Ace of Dubs

hakjoon wrote:

Unlimited fields would require a hack.

Maybe there is a way we can trick TxP to using 10 custom fields on a per section/category basis?

what happens if the definition for a section conflicts with the definition for a category?

I have pondered this as well, which is why you can assign to EITHER section OR category. Notice in my sketch how the section area is grayed out when category is selected. If this makes things too complicated, then I suppose that just assigning fields to categories would suffice.

Glad to see I’m not the only one who could really use this plugin!

BTW- Good luck with your move. I just finished mine in the sweltering heat of Barcelona…fun times!

#4 2006-08-04 00:52:08

Elenita
Website

I just want to bump this thread, and encourage anyone thinking of taking this stuff on: there is definitely a demand for this stuff. I’ve very deliberately avoided implementing a feature on my site because I don’t have dropdown custom fields. Please don’t drop this for a supposed lack of interest.

#5 2006-08-04 01:21:14

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Unlimited fields would require a hack.

Maybe there is a way we can trick TxP to using 10 custom fields on a per section/category basis?

Not really. The limitation is because of how custom fields were originally implemented.

Each custom field has it’s own column in the “textpattern” (articles) table, and is also somewhat hard-coded in a couple places in code. Of course anything is possible, but you’ll find it kind of annoying to implement. Bringing it in to be per section/category will be far more complicated.

You might be better off creating a plugin that has it’s own db table and functions, rather than trying to make the existing do what you want.

#6 2006-08-04 08:14:02

rossharvey
Website

This would be so useful. Definately add some cash to a ransom if need be :¬)

#7 2006-08-04 10:46:58

Ace of Dubs

Glad to see I am not the only one into this idea. It’s funny because it all sprang directly from a legitimate need to de-clutter and simplify the interface for my clients. I thought my ideas were original, but after playing with Expression engine, I discovered that it offers this capability right out of the box:

Notice how they also allow you to set the format of each field. (In our case we would add Textile to that dropdown menu)

At the same time, having dabbled a bit in PHP myself, I understand that this plugin is no small feat. Just having unlimited fields and database mods is enough of a challenge, but toss in all these extra config options and you have quite a monster of a plugin to code. Having said that, I am willing to bet the ransom on this would not last more than 3 days, as this feature is something a LOT of us are craving.

If any of you have grown tired of TXP’s wimpy custom fields, then make your statement here. If we get enough requests/interest, there will be more incentive for our resident geniuses to code this up.

#8 2006-08-04 13:43:34

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Nice Idea, Ace.

This would be the most useful thing ever.
The screenshots are explanatory enough to make you a fan of this.
I’d be interested in this as well.

I also use custom fields extensively, they save you plenty of other plugins for a multitude of problems.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2006-08-04 13:46:36)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#9 2006-08-08 02:11:46

creativesplash
Website

Something like this would be awesome!

Ace of dubs, Awesome work on the screen caps!

“Take a point, stretch it into a line, curl it into a circle, twist it into a sphere, and punch through the sphere.”

— Albert Einstein

#10 2006-08-08 07:46:44

Inspired
Plugin Author
Website

I can take the task, including unlimited customs and some extra. Anyone is already working on it?

Plugin Composer — admin plugin to write your own plugins

#11 2006-08-24 02:08:34

variaas
Plugin Author
Website

Inspired…are you working on this?

#12 2006-08-24 15:17:15

Inspired
Plugin Author
Website