Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2004-05-19 21:14:32

Remillard
Plugin Author

... improve my run-time?

Someone looked at the site and noticed that the run-time was getting excessive. I hadn’t noticed that there’s a comment at the bottom for that but it’s very useful. What sorts of operations take the most time?

Regards,
Remillard

#2 2004-05-19 21:26:10

Niloc

Re: ... improve my run-time?

Are you sure it’s not just your host that is slow, that is the impression that I got when I visited your page.

#3 2004-05-19 21:39:46

jdueck
Plugin Author
Website

You’re up in the seventeen second range, which is wayy too high. A normal runtime is something less than a second.

You may have a slow web server or sql server, in which case there’s not much you can do except switch providers.

Since the normal, default server is plenty fast, you have to look at the changes you’ve made. Plugins have the potential to slow things down. What plugins have you installed?

Also, if you have created a form that references itself somehow, you can get some recursion/looping type problems. I kind of doubt that’s the case with your site though.

Images are downloaded by the browser separately, after txp is done running; they don’t affect the runtime, per se.

#4 2004-05-19 22:00:27

Remillard
Plugin Author

It could be the host, though it’s pretty fast with a very basic html file. Maybe a few seconds to come back. I know the more complicated I have made it, the slower it’s gotten.

I have two plugins at the moment, and both are disabled since I haven’t figured out how to use them.

In the page, here’s what I’ve got:
1) Article retrieval for the main content, selected on category, last 5 posts. (I had to use the custom article tag because otherwise I got articles from EVERY category, which isn’t what I wanted.

2) The reading and listening box each have a custom article retrieval, filtered on category, and last post, and defining a specific form.

3) The links box has about 5 link retrieval tags, filtered on category of link.

4) The recent posts is pretty basic, but about 20 items.

I think that’s about it.

The place I think it may be occurring is a mysql field retrieval time. I did what I could to clean out the MT cruft from the database (deleting the tables). The person who left a comment and told me it was going slow suggested deleting everything in the database, and starting over, but frankly I don’t see the benefit of that. So to speed things up, reducing the number of database calls may be the only thing. Probably time to rethink my content and organization. The recent posts is probably the easiest thing to axe, especially if I ever figure out thekolonel’s date filtering archive tag, and I figure out how to get the “next page” thing to work. (The tags that are in the default page do NOT work.)

#5 2004-05-19 23:16:54

Remillard
Plugin Author

Well it’s now at 2.6 seconds, but I’m not sure why. Only changes I made were to try to eliminate some of the fields on tags here and there, shorten the recent articles limit, and I removed the search and browse boxes. Somewhere in there it sped up.

Either that or the connection to the mysql server sped up.

Oh well. Good to keep an eye on it though.

Regards,
Remillard

#6 2004-05-20 00:39:19

jason
Website

I got <!-- Runtime: 6.8110 -->, what kind of machine is it running on?

This is a 50-page, 300kb test entry with a <!-- Runtime: 0.10393 -->, and this has <!-- Runtime: 0.0383 --> (there's server-side caching, so hit refresh if it isn't that low).

Last edited by jason (2004-05-20 00:39:41)

#7 2004-05-20 01:58:40

Remillard
Plugin Author

It’s hosted on SDF which is a not-for-profit public access UNIX system. I’m not sure which machine does the webhosting, or perhaps they are setup to load share. I know that’s what’s done for ssh access. It’s probably not the fastest spot in the world, but it’s worked well for me so far. Honestly this is the first time I’ve cared much about runtime.

I probably ought to just leave the page alone for a day at a particular state, and simply view it several different times a day and see if the run-time shifts dramatically. If it’s that, then there’s maybe nothing much I can do. If it’s fairly constant, then maybe I can do what I can to control the number of database calls and whatnot.

Last edited by Remillard (2004-05-20 01:59:23)

#8 2004-05-20 02:25:15

jason
Website

Ah, I know that SDF runs NetBSD with suEXEC and suPHP. I remember their PHP being a bit behind but I don’t know.

#9 2004-05-20 02:39:17

Remillard
Plugin Author

I’m not up on PHP, but this is what I got:

[0237][mnorton@norge:~]$ php —version
PHP 4.3.4 (cli) (built: Jan 3 2004 10:04:02)
Copyright © 1997-2003 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright © 1998-2003 Zend Technologies

#10 2004-05-20 12:50:59

Dean
Founder (Gone, but not forgotten)
Website

The speeds I’m seeing on your site are in the ballpark of those I get when running Txp on a server accessing MySQL on a remote – eg, non-localhost – network connection. Is it possible to query SDF (unfortunate acronym in France, that) about their database setup?

text*

#11 2004-05-20 15:06:34

Remillard
Plugin Author

Oh it’s definitely on a different machine. That’s why I was saying it was probably the MySQL retrieval time. The db is only on one particular machine.

Well that solves that one. Thanks!

PS: SDF for these purposes stands for “Super Dimensional Fortress”. The guys who started it were gamers I believe :). Not sure what it stands for in France.

Last edited by Remillard (2004-05-20 15:07:53)

#12 2004-07-27 05:55:01

Andrew
Plugin Author

> jason wrote: <br /> >(there’s server-side caching, so hit refresh if it isn’t that low).

I’m curious about Textpattern & the current state of caching. I remember reading Dean say somewhere something about caching as a feature being built into TXP in the future, but I can’t seem to find anything about it.

The reason why I ask is I recently saw Matt’s post about Staticize 2.5 and its recent time trials. It’s impressive, as is the plugin, and before I reinvent the wheel by trying to translate it over to TXP I figured I’d ask here what’s currently on tap in this realm. Anyone know?

btw jason, what’s that w/ server-side caching? is that on textdrive?

Board footer