Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-05-30 00:20:51

moslib

community site

a place for past and present residents of an area to share memories of their street – this is a local library project that aims to capture the social history of the area, and complement the library’s extensive collection of local ephemera, photographs, oral histories, etc… by being online, it’s hoped that people now living outside the area will contribute, and of course, the resource can be viewed by anyone in the world

keeping content submission simple was the guiding principle – stories and photos are added through custom pages that look like the rest of the site – users never see the Textpattern backend

there is a 7 day ‘choke’ in operation – stories and photos are available to the user for 7 days from their workspace, before they are passed off to a moderation queue for a librarian to check and publish … this allows people to edit, think over, their submission

key plugins here are Michael Manfre’s mem_self_register and mem_moderation plugins – Manfre did a great job on this project

with photos, we needed more fields than were available – so images are given an article wrapper – again thanks to Manfre… also invaluable were ign_password_protect, cbs_category_list, chh_article_custom, chh_related_articles, zem_contact_reborn, chh_if_data, jnm_recent_comments_unique

but in essence, this is a fairly simple Txp site – a tribute to the strength and flexibility of the core

#2 2006-05-30 00:32:03

maniqui
Website

Re: community site

beautiful site, moslib.
I like the simplicity and the colours. Also, that “index” section like an archive… I like the word “index”.

Also, great to see a community site managed with TXP!
Manfre’s plug-ins are great.
I understand he did work in the project. Suave! I would like to see Manfre more often here at forums.

but in essence, this is a fairly simple Txp site – a tribute to the strength and flexibility of the core

TXP did it again!

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2006-05-30 01:26:12

squaredeye
Website

moslib,
i hope you don’t mind, I made an account.
artiswork (feel free to delete it)

This is some great work. I am really really impressed. I had tried to do a community site at artiswork.org at first, but abandoned ship until I learned the whole system and xhtml / css better.

I might relaunch someday. In the meantime. If you were willing to share any of your insight or code to the community, I think this could prove to be an INCREDIBLE resource as there aren’t a lot of community sites out there, and many community minded developers go elsewhere because TXP’s core is not naturally able to do this kind of thing at the moment.

Just a thought.

I agree with maiqui,
extremely well done development, and very easy to use.

Matthew

#4 2006-05-30 01:40:36

moslib

thank you Matthew and you’re welcome – Manfre’s plugins do all the work really … my intention is to assist with the documentation of these plugins sometime soon

the site has 3 page templates – one all-purpose, one for search only, and one called ‘protected’ (i.e. for the /workspace) … these, like the forms, work in the usual Txp way, having a mix of core and plugin tags … I think it’s fairly easy to setup (when documentation is at hand)… the article-wrapper for images was probably the funkiest bit of work, Manfre can give more info there

#5 2006-05-30 01:48:43

squaredeye
Website

moslib,
I look forward to it.

#6 2006-05-30 17:57:38

jimpoep

Nice work!! My style, though.

#7 2006-06-04 20:16:24

alannie

Moslib, very nice site. I am interested in how you set it up so that the workspace forms that a registered user submits goes into the database? In other words, how do you enable registered users to edit their articles without their having to see the Textpattern interface?

Edit: I installed the mem_moderation beta plugins and I see that it includes a mem_moderation_article plugin. Judging from the help documentation, I assume this is what enabled you to create custom article write/edit forms. Nice!

Last edited by alannie (2006-06-04 21:44:11)

#8 2006-06-05 23:09:13

moslib

alannie, you got it … here is the form (very simple) called “mod_story_form” which outputs the custom write screen:

<code>
<input type=“hidden” name=“section” value=“story” />
<p><strong>Choose the street you’re writing about</strong><br />
<txp:mod_category1_select /></p>
<p>If your story is related to a second street, select that here<br />
<txp:mod_category2_select /></p>
<p><strong>Title of your story</strong><br />
<txp:mod_title_input /></p>
<p><strong>Type your story here</strong><br />
<txp:mod_body_input /></p>
<p><strong>Your name as you’d like it to appear on the site</strong><br />
<txp:mod_custom_input id=“1” /></p>
<p><strong>Dates that apply to this memory</strong> – <em>type in a year e.g. 1973 or decade e.g. 1950s</em> <br />
start date: <txp:mod_custom_input id=“2” /> <br />
end date <em>(optional)</em>: <txp:mod_custom_input id=“3”/></p>
<p>Keywords <em>(optional) – full names of e.g. people, houses & businesses mentioned in this story</em><br />
<txp:mod_keywords_input /></p>
<p>Notes for the Librarian <em>(optional) – here you can leave a message for the Librarian who will publish your submission</em><br />
<txp:mod_note_input /></p>
<p><txp:mod_submit /> <txp:mod_delete /></p>
<p><em>note: you will have 7 days to edit this story before it is sent to the publishing queue</em></p></code>

I like the txp backend, but modifying it to mimic the site design means you don’t have to (or shouldn’t have to) produce a ‘manual’ for content providers to follow…

#9 2006-07-16 14:02:48

alannie

moslib, thank you so much for your example! I continue to be impressed by your site. How did you implement the 7-day choke on the submitted stories?

#10 2006-07-16 22:53:31

moslib

it is part of the mem_moderation plugin – at the top is a line define('QUEUE_SUBMISSION_DELAY', "7");

that may have been a custom solution for us, not sure if it’s in the downloadable plugin –
either way, if you require it, I’m sure Manfre can satisfy : )

#11 2006-08-21 19:09:30

daveh
Website

Manfre, Moslib, et al,…

The mem_moderation plugin has: require_plugin(‘mem_admin_parse’);

Where can I get mem_admin_parse plugin from?

Ta,
Dave

—————
Dave-H

#12 2006-08-21 22:08:07

maniqui
Website

Hi Daveh,

you can take it from Manfre’s site here

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp