Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-05-03 15:24:56

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

[howto] copyright

I’ve been using this small php for the copyright notice in my site and never thought that it would be of use to anyone so I never posted it here.

Just in case anybody is interested here it is. My apologies to the developers re the childish simplicity of this but I guess it might be useful for the non php savvy users.

&copy; 20xx - <txp:php>echo date('Y');</txp:php>, <a href="mysite.com">my name</a>

For a more feature rich copyright notice there is also this plug in from net-carver.

>edited to textile

Last edited by colak (2008-06-20 13:52:05)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2006-05-03 18:08:54

NyteOwl

Re: [howto] copyright

Nice and clean and simple. I’de been using a SSI hack for mine.

Last edited by NyteOwl (2006-05-03 18:09:22)

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination. / 36-bits Forever! / #include <disclaimer.h>;

#3 2006-05-17 14:02:38

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

colak: Thanks for the pointer to my plugin.

All: There is an interesting article about copyright on the GodBit site but it is limited in scope to US copyright.

Steve

#4 2006-05-18 09:08:37

colak
Admin

net-carver, thanks for the link.. Having read the article here is a (non-tested) solution

&copy; <txp:if_custom_field name="articledate"><txp:custom_field name="articledate" /><txp:else /><txp:posted format="%Y" /></txp:if_custom_field> - <txp:php>echo date('Y');</txp:php>, <txp:if_custom_field name="authorname"><txp:custom_field name="authorname" /><txp:else /><txp:author link="1" /></txp:if_custom_field>

> Edited to textile

Last edited by colak (2008-03-16 08:40:32)

Yiannis
——————————

#5 2006-05-18 10:11:22

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

That looks like a nice way to handle per-article copyright attribution.

Are you sure the end date should always be the current year? I thought the end date was the year of the last modification by the author, which might not be this year.

The sed_copyright plugin currently only handles site-wide copyright messages for the page footers and the <head> section of the page. It’s already on the to-do list to work in per-article handling.

I would sure like to use some of your work above in there—will save me some time!

Last edited by net-carver (2006-05-18 10:14:38)

Steve

#6 2006-05-18 16:08:40

colak
Admin

Hi Net-carver
You are welcome to use all of it. I’m glad if I have been helpful
You are right re the current year. At least with the us copyright law which adheres to the Berne convention.

The way I understand it, the current year would be relevent in a site wide copyright notice. so the code above could be readjusted to

<txp:if_article_list>
&copy; 20xx - <txp:php>echo date('Y');</txp:php>, <a href="site.com">site name or respective author</a>
</txp:if_article_list>
<txp:if_individual_article>
&copy; <txp:if_custom_field name="articledate"><txp:custom_field name="articledate" /><txp:else /><txp:posted format="%Y" /> - </txp:if_custom_field>, <txp:if_custom_field name="authorname"><txp:custom_field name="authorname" /><txp:else /><txp:author link="1" /></txp:if_custom_field></txp:if_individual_article>

Re your plugin i’m not php savvy so I cannot write the conditional code which I would like in there which would go a bit like

<txp:if_article_list>
&copy;
if a date is set in the plugin show(that date) else show oldest posted article date in the database 
- <txp:php>echo date('Y');</txp:php>, <a href="site.com">site name or respective author</a>
</txp:if_article_list>
<txp:if_individual_article>
&copy; <txp:if_custom_field name="articledate"><txp:custom_field name="articledate" />
<txp:else />
<txp:posted format="%Y" /> - modyfied year </txp:if_custom_field>, <txp:if_custom_field name="authorname"><txp:custom_field name="authorname" />
<txp:else />
<txp:author link="1" /></txp:if_custom_field></txp:if_individual_article>

The problem I see is if the article has been modified so copyright would read something like © 2000-2001. This would be confusing as it can mean to some people that the copyright has expired.

>Edited to textile

Last edited by colak (2009-04-08 08:01:19)

Yiannis
——————————

#7 2006-05-19 00:27:29

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

colak wrote:

Hi Net-carver<br/><br/>snip … <br/><br/>The way I understand it, the current year would be relevent in a site wide copyright notice. so the code above could be readjusted to…<br/><br/> snip

As far as I know, the above is the case if you are actively updating your site. However, it might be the case that a client site, or even a slowly updated blog, doesn’t get updated for a while (shame when that happens but it can, especially over the Dec/Jan period) so displaying the current year as the end date isn’t technically correct in those situations.

The copyright plugin takes care of this situation by using either the date of the last update to TXP (if comments don’t count as updates) or the date of the lastest update to the articles.

The problem I see is if the article has been modified so copyright would read something like &copy; 2000-2001. This would be confusing as it can mean to some people that the copyright has expired.

Yes, I totally agree! Perhaps it is either…

• a cultural/legal difference in the way that copyright dates are treated or understood
  • a lack of understanding on the topic (even for me!)

It seems that US copyright expires 70 years after the death of the author, not 70 years after the date of the last update/edit to his work so I guess we should really be printing the creation date of the work through to the year of death of the author + 70 years!!! Very difficult to do.

Last edited by net-carver (2006-05-19 00:28:58)

Steve

#8 2006-05-19 02:05:07

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

…copyright expires 70 years after the death of the author…

That is correct. Use the date(s) the works were created and modified.

What Is Copyright?

#9 2006-05-19 02:26:09

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Related: there is an audio piece over at IT Conversations on the trends in US copyright. Some food for thought.

Steve

#10 2006-05-19 07:16:46

colak
Admin

Mary wrote:

…copyright expires 70 years after the death of the author…

What Is Copyright?

Well it is correct re US law but in the Universal Copyright Convention it is 25 years (most times after the death of the author)

ARTICLE IV

a) The term of protection for works protected under this Convention shall not be less than the life of the author and twenty-five years after his death. However, any Contracting State which, on the effective date of this Convention in that State, has limited this term for certain classes of works to a period computed from the first publication of the work, shall be entitled to maintain these exceptions and to extend them to other classes of works. For all these classes the term of protection shall not be less than twenty-five years from the date of first publication.

source: www.unesco.org/…./copyrightconvention.rtf

Also check out the Berne Convention which states

Article 7

(1) The term of protection granted by this Convention shall be the life of the author and fifty years after his death.

Mary wrote:

so net-carver’s plugin should keep a record of whenever the article has been updated
ie © Copyright 2002, 2003, 2005, etc Author’s name

net-carver wrote:

Related: there is an audio piece over at IT Conversations on the trends in US copyright. Some food for thought.

>Edit: (2006-05-19 12:06:45) just listened to it… wonderful stuff. Also check Rights v. Rights

> Edited to textile

Last edited by colak (2008-03-16 08:53:24)

Yiannis
——————————

#11 2006-05-19 10:14:39

colak
Admin

Using/altering the mrz_lastmod plugin
the sitewise copyright code could be (Please correct me here because I’m way out of my depth)

<txp:if_article_list>&copy; copyright 20xx - {
	//get the site prefs
	global $prefs;
	//extract the attribrutes
	if (is_array($atts))
	{
		extract($atts);
	}
	//set defaults for the date
	$format = (empty($format)) ? "y" : $format;
	//apply the users timeoffset
	$lastmod = strtotime($prefs['lastmod']);
	$lastmod =  $lastmod + $prefs['timeoffset'];
	//format the date
	$output = date($format,$lastmod);
	//ouput that date
	return $output;
}</txp:if_article_list>

> Edited for textile formatting.

Last edited by colak (2009-04-08 07:42:02)

Yiannis
——————————

#12 2006-05-19 10:27:10

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Hi colak,

thanks for the return pointer (which I haven’t read yet! my reply in post #15).

*Mary wrote:*<br/><br/>That is correct. Use the date(s) the works were created and modified.

*colak replied*<br/><br/>so net-carver’s plugin should keep a record of whenever the article has been updated
ie &copy; Copyright 2002, 2003, 2005, etc Author’s name

As I understand it from Michael Montgomery’s article on GodBit (see post #3 above) the usual convention, at least in the US, is to limit the dates for the updates to just the last one. This gives the start-year — end-year format we see everywhere. Is it similar in other parts of the world?

I have no plans to change the attribution dates to a list. It could be possible through the verbatim use of a custom field, just like you demonstrated in your example code.

Last edited by net-carver (2006-05-19 13:24:59)

Steve

Board footer