Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-02-27 06:04:57

variaas
Plugin Author
Website

[wiki] Plugin Documentation Begins!

So I finally got around to getting it setup on the wiki. I took all the functions defined in the TXP source and put them up on TextBook here, but now I need help. I’m starting to put up information about each function, but I’m finding that I haven’t used a lot of these functions so I can’t clearly define them.

Also, there are 700+ functions listed right now in straight top down manner. This is clearly not an efficient way of organizing it, so I could also use suggestions on how best to organize it. Right now I’m thinking that I should group them by the files they are located in, but I’m open to other ideas.

One more thing is to come up with a standard template for function defintions. Right now I’m using:
Name
Purpose
Inputs
Outputs
Examples

I’m open to suggestions.

So please help out in anyway you can!

#2 2006-02-27 06:34:34

akokskis
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [wiki] Plugin Documentation Begins!

I think that grouping the functions by file would be optimal. Also, I think that, and I realize this would be tedious and difficult to implement, it would be nice if the functions were cross referenced.

As far as information on the actual functions goes, I think that what you’ve got is good. Also, for new functions coming in the future, you may want to have a field for version added, so that it is know what functions are available with any given version of txp. I realize that for the past, this would be a terrible chore, but in terms of looking at the future, I believe it could be helpful.

Just my 2¢…

My Photoblog, and my personal site. Got nav? ako_nav.
Thanks for taking the time to look…

— vc3 —

#3 2006-02-28 00:34:17

Inspired
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks, variaas, that’s a good start!

Yeah, I also think grouping them by file would be optimal.

Last edited by Inspired (2006-02-28 00:34:40)

Plugin Composer — admin plugin to write your own plugins

#4 2006-02-28 07:13:09

tranquillo
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Please, don’t group them by files, or if possible, at least, let the user have some sortby feature. I prefer the alphabetical order. As for now, I sometimes keep searching functions in the wrong file, i.e. doWrap – it’s not in the html lib file but in taghandlers.php.

However, thanks for this great work.

#5 2006-02-28 08:11:51

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

As a starter, I’ve just grouped some of them by functionality and added a reference to the source file where appropriate as I suppose this results in the most useful help for new plugin developers.

Cross referencing is properly handled by the link to the PHPXref page, IMHO.

#6 2006-03-04 09:42:19

23:59:59
Website

It’s good to see someone has taken up documenting the functions, I’ll be working on my first plugin soon. I see that only a few functions have been documented so far. Maybe a mention to this thread would attract more participation.

Last edited by 23:59:59 (2006-03-04 09:58:38)

#7 2006-03-04 11:20:59

alexandra

To attract more contributors i did publish an announcement in the community contributions forum

Would you mind, variaas, to assign your documentation project here please. thanks :)

Board footer